Register now to get rid of these ads!

Valve cover racing ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olds vroom, Jan 26, 2016.

1. olds vroom

olds vroom

I see that this years Syracuse nationals has valve cover racing in the ol skool roundup . I've never seen this before but would like to build one . Have any of you done this ? Have any pictures or good tips?

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Have'nt built one, but back when I went to a lot of GG's events, it seemed like the ones that got the most attention were the "oddball" covers that are seldom seen.
    It may not win, but you may get famous and get a picture of it in the gazette.
    Just for fun check out this site: (don't be surprised if this thread gets closed though).

https://news.classiccars.com/valve-cover-racing-adds-excitement-car-show-days/

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It started in the 70s as far as I know and at first was something to give the rodders kids something to do and it didn't take long before the rodders wanted to race their own valve

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Have seen it at old car events. Like a mini soap box derby, you make a car out of a valve cover with 4 wheels, decorated to suit your fancy. The ones I saw raced 2 at a time down a plywood ramp. I don't know what the rules are but suppose you can find out from the promoter.

6. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Still have valve cover races at the Frog Follies in Evansville Indiana.
    From what I've seen most if not all the participants are young kids. There are specific rules about weight placement, wheels etc. More info on their web site.

7. southerncad

southerncad

Seen the VC races, but the "best" races were at KKOA events where we raced hood ornaments!

8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I hope they have changed the rules over the years because one Valve Cover Race I saw had some jerk that was in his 50's against some kid that was about eight years old. It was obvious that the kid did his own work and the adult beat the kid's car by a long way and he was jumping up and down like he just won the NHRA Nationals. Really made the kid feel bad. Are there adult and kid divisions now?

9. olds vroom

olds vroom

Here is the beginnings of my racer ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1456180299.169629.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1456180318.493810.jpg

10. olds vroom

olds vroom

11. They can vary - a LOT
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Olboy

Olboy

Here is the racer my son and I built for the Winternationals in High River, Alberta.

Attached Files:

13. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make it heavy, I use roller blade wheels. My gold one is speedy,

14. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I never race mine, but the kids at the show race the ones they want and they all go away happy!

15. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Wow they are really very cool looking.

Anyone building these that are for sale to the public?

Jimbo

16. cranejon

cranejon

Does anyone know anything about building a track?. We want one for next summer's Utica Michigan car show. Don't want to reinvent the wheel. Are there any plans, good photos, suggestions or tracks for sale? Ay suggested grades, heights, starting mechanisms or otherwise?

Jon Crane
    Rochester Mich
    248 650 1133
    [email protected]

chryslerfan55 likes this.