Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Valve cover breather identification

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by markjaramillo, Dec 11, 2017.

1. markjaramillo

markjaramillo

2. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

They look like old generic or Cal Customs to me. KB and Offenhauser logos are cast into theirs and MoonEyes have logo on them as well. Eelco, Ansen?

3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I'm not going to sit here and say I've seen everything...but I've seen more than the average bear when it comes to vintage speed equipment. That being said...ive never seen breathers like those. I would guess Moon or Eelco..

4. Fordors

Fordors

I’m putting my money on Offenhauser Engineering of Indy car fame.
    Can you post another picture? Is the mounting flange 90* to the top of the breather, or is there an angle to it?

5. markjaramillo

markjaramillo

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I'm with you!

7. markjaramillo

markjaramillo

8. markjaramillo

markjaramillo

No markings what so ever the kinda tall also. I'd say 90 degree. Don't have them right now to post more pics. There at the shop. I haven't seen nothing like them at first I thought they were stellings and hellings when I first seen them.

9. Fordors

Fordors

This is what they look like to me. Where did you find them? Scan_0023.jpg Scan_0024.jpg

dana barlow and scrapiron like this.
  10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I retract my previous statement.
    I think you are on to something.

11. markjaramillo

markjaramillo

I think your correct on them. The guy I got them from said that he thought he had four of them but he only had the 2 when I I bought them. I will try to see if he has the other 2 .

12. markjaramillo

markjaramillo

Screenshot_20171212-223255.png found this pic. Just google offenhauser 220 engine and looks to be missing the breathers like they just Caped them off. Interesting to say the least. Maybe there needing them

13. Fordors

Fordors

The engine pictured is from the same era, but the magneto is rotated 90* and driven from the rear of the cam tower instead of the front and that put it in the way of two of the breathers.
    In any event the breathers are cool stuff, Fred Offenhauser owned the business in 1948, buying it in 1933 after Harry Miller went bankrupt and Leo Goossen was the gifted draftsman that drew the ‘prints I posted. Lots of history there!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    markjaramillo likes this.