Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Valve clearance Indexer for ford flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by CheatersPete, Jan 6, 2016.

1. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

Dear Ford Flathead addict, it has been a while now that I'm working on flathead Ford engines and it always took me some time to adjust the lifters when changing camshaft and unfortunately it is not easy to find when the lifters are on the heel of the cam
    I was looking at the NECO valve clearance indexer, and decided to build one in order to save me some time and accuracy.
    My tool can be use for flathead from 32 to 48 and the one from 49 to 53 using the other side of the tool

Here is a little video that shows the tool ad how to use it

Attached Files:

loudbang and rod1 like this.
  2. 41fastback

41fastback

Nice tool. Are you selling them?

3. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Sweet tool. Are they for sale?

4. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

Yes I have a few for sale...

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

This could be used on any V8 that has same firing order of flathead , if I'm thinkin correctly

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

On a quicky home made one...'42-48 distributors and the stock '49-53 share a characteristic that makes them perfect bases for use as an indexing tool. On both, the connection from cam to rotor is solid, a shaft that maintains its relationship direct to cam on the early and direct to its drive gear on the late. All relative movement (meaning advance) happens by rotating the cam on early and by moving the plate on late, leaving the rotor solidly in place.
    A tool that simply replaces the rotor will thus do the job of marking cam position.
    A disc or drum (like a catfood can) glued and/or screwed to an old rotor (note that '46-53 use the same rotor, even) can be marked with heel position for each valve and thenceforth you've got it. '32-41's are better served by one of the special tools or an equivalent because of the enclosed distributor design.

loudbang likes this.
  8. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

Thanks Bruce, I agree, the thing is, finding a 32-41 distributor or other specific part is maybe easy in USA, but not IN europe, that is why I came up with that tool....thanks for your comment and ideas, always much appreciate

9. 55willys

55willys

Cool tool I would be interested in one for myself and I could sell them through my parts business Highway 101 Rod and Custom.

10. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

Pm me for more info, tx

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Maybe the easiest way for full coverage is to make the degree wheel/index part on a 59A rotor, and keep it with a spare distributor with adapter plate and cam button so it can go onto any '32-48 motor. Then just the rotor wheel part is a drop-on to a '49-53...actual indexing to be handled by where you mark your pointer on the distributor body.
    On the 42-48 distributor the little steel tab that locates cap is the natural marking place, already there and at easiest to see place in a car. Where the equivalent would be on a late distributor installed to factory specs diagram in the shop manual I dunno...all of my late type parts are currently buried in unsanctified ground.

12. kimfmx

kimfmx

A quick coupke of questions. Is there equal space between the 16 indexes?. Should it be placed at tdc or 2 degree before ? What iscthe difference between the sides, is it only mounting difference?

Sent from my SM-G850F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. gdaddy

gdaddy
    from nw fl.

Sent from my SM-G850F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app[/QUOTE] thanks for the video
    do you really think that I can bend my knees like that ? like the tool

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  14. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

Pretty slick. Okay, price plus shipping? Thanks for the tutorial video too.

15. kimfmx

kimfmx

Is there 22.5 degree between each index or is it off between inlet and exhaust.

Sent from my SM-G850F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. And what is the red finish inside the block?Thanks.

17. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

Still available, PM me for more info, price is 68$ shipped to your door, I ship worldwide

thanks

18. A lot of the late flatheads use MSD or converted Chevy distributors. Is a similar tool for them available?

19. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

You can easily adapt the tool on any distributor , I did a few for chevy distributor , you must drill the tool where the 2 screws of the rotor are located and attached the tool there

20. B1rdwchr

B1rdwchr

How do I PM you on this site?

21. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

22. leon bee

leon bee
    from Arkansas!

I finally used this tool the other day, very nice. Sure, I could have gotten by without it, but using it was a pleasure.

23. CheatersPete

CheatersPete

Very happy that you enjoy it ;-) thanks for the feedback