Register now to get rid of these ads!

value of older cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by catfish7, Oct 13, 2008.

1. catfish7

catfish7

value of the older cars has been dropping the last 5 years at least.yes its true.if yours is not worth what you thought it was,its because the demand for them has dropped considerably.years affected,and i'm talking
    original-restored and mostly stk cars.i'm not talking customs or hot rods.yrs-1900 thru approx 1940.the demand now is newer cars 50's-60,s-70's, and all american muscle.the older the car the more the demand has dropped.your thoughts please.:D

2. abc123

abc123

Would that apply to 1932 Fords? I don't think so but it's probably true for "most" pre '40 American-made cars.

3. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

ive only seen prices going up, but at the same time i see less cars getting sold

4. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

you buyin', or sellin'? 'cause nothing is cheap around here, no matter what the year [or condition as far as that goes]

5. Black Primer

Black Primer

Thats great! Maybe soon I'll be able to afford that 36 Ford coupe I always wanted. I know one thing for sure, parts prices for these cars haven't come down

6. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Prices are adjusting not dropping. If a conv. Hemi Cuda sells for over a million, everyone freaks out and thinks all hemi cuda's are worth that. Then when one sells for a sensible (but still stupid high) price every one freaks out and thinks they're dropping. When a load of cars hits the market cause people need money for some reason (receding economy) of course they'll be cheaper. Trust me, ten years from now we'll be saying- "I remember when I could get a 36 ford 3 window body for under 10,000$"....

7. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

its the age of the group interested, but as always there are glitches the 32 being one!..

meaning stock cars rather than rods

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  8. 6tall

6tall

I agree with Dreddybear. To me I find them climbing in price. Barrett-Jackson has a lot to do with that.

9. rodknocker

rodknocker

[i'm not talking customs or hot rods.yrs-1900 thru approx 1940e]
    Then you're in the wrong place.

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My thoughts? What are you smoking? Are you talking about plain-jane 4dr sedans? 6cyl Gremlins and Hornets? Kit cars? The only thing I see falling away is insignificant stuff. I've sold nearly 2 million dollars worth of cars at record highs in less than a year. Well, that only accounts for 3 cars, so does that count?

Those are my thoughts. Speculators are dropping, not true collectors. Never has a shit-box Cuda been worth as much as a Duesenberg because of an engine I can buy tomorrow. Those folks will be hurt because in plain english they FUCKED UP.

11. The value of old cars only goes down when I am trying to sell one of mine. If I don't want to sell them, I am offered all sorts of money for them. Go figure but it's the G-d's honest truth.

12. Road Runner

Road Runner

The price a seller gets is what a buyer is willing to pay, regardless.

I never pay too much attention to asking prices in ads or online auctions.

You never really know what anybody actually sold for or paid, unless you are the buyer or seller and the deal actually went through satisfactory for both.

13. wvenfield

wvenfield

I wish prices were dropping. They may at the extremes but very few operate there.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB, I used to tow a Type 57 Bugatti SC Coupe around on an an open trailer in the early 1980's for the owner. He passed away and the car sold at Pebble Beach for SEVEN MILLION EIGHT HUNDERED THOUSAND DOLLARS I believe it was built in 1936. Not everyone has a desire for a purple Hemi Cuda. :rolleyes:

15. belair

belair

Thank you for your observation. Now go do something else.

16. JOBCORP

JOBCORP

too many folks see a buy it now price or barrett jackson or any other auction and think all of that year make or model will pull the same money, hell even Gremlins are out of my price range, considering the last one i bought was 1 dollar

17. rainh8r

rainh8r

I think the demand for some kinds of old cars is dropping, but not all. The mainstream cars, esp. 28-36 Fords, are staying put, but the nice 40 Plymouth sedan style street rod of 1985 is searching for buyers. People are looking for more true hot rod vehicles than anything else right now, and that mean Fords. Coupes and roadsters, pickups, and a few sedans will still bring money and sell quickly, while the others take a lot longer and don't bring as much as they once did. Everyone wants the same things and the competition is greater to find it at an affordable price, but it one strays out of the mainstream, cars get lots cheaper.

18. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

I'll 2nd this.

19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with the last two posts--the early ford coupes and roadsters are still very expensive as they are where the demand is. I see nice,well done 40 coupes bringing way more than 4-5 years ago. If the car is right and done properly, they are not soft at all around here.

20. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

If muscle cars are the new hot thing, then i'm gonna have a little jem soon! :)

21. GoManGo1951

GoManGo1951

True dat!!! Same thing here.

22. Cruiser

Cruiser

This post has it right and post #7 has the right idea too. Rather own a cool custom or hot rod any day then a purple Hemi cuda.

CRUISER :cool:

Attached Files: