Register now to get rid of these ads!

Value of an 8BA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SquashThatFly, Mar 31, 2006.

1. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

i did a search but didnt come up with what I was looking for and cant get a straight answer no matter what research i do or who i ask. Im looking into taking out the Flatty in my 51 shoebox and would like to figure out what to sell it for if i do in fact pull it. Id keep it but speed parts and a college student budget dont mix and the plan for this car is low and fast. Its an 8BA, good running, clean and complete motor. Started right up when I bought it and started right up when i drove it on and off the trailer into the shop. The 3 spd/OD tranny will go with it. Shifter feels smooth through the pattern but only drove it 20 feet before tearing the car apart so i dont know how that drives. The previous owner drove it all over so i assume its fine. So whats the package worth? Thanks

only pic but you can see its clean
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y107/voodoochopshop/1951%20Ford/IMG_0926.jpg

2. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I payed $800 three years ago for that exact same setup. At the time I thought it was too much but after selling the trans and finding how well the motor runs I feel I got a screaming deal. If you were close and I could pull the heads and everything checked out good I'd go as high as a grand for a good flatty with an OD but that's just me.

3. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Even if you would have stated the indicated mileage on the car it may not be the miles on the engine (possible rebuild in it's past?). A running 8BA should be worth $500.00 IMHO and the OD tranny another $250.00. Repost with mileage on the car. I may be interested just got to figure about getting it to Ohio.

4. Squablow

Squablow

Yeah, running good and complete top to bottom, with an OD tranny, $700 to $800 would be a good price. Why do you want to remove it? What are you going to replace it with that is going to be so much better?

5. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

It's strange how often this question comes up.

There are a number of factors that would gauge the price.

1. How many miles? (are the cylinders tapered? are the bearings badly worn?)
    2. Clean or not; was the engine (car) ever left out in freezing weather without antifreeze? (block COULD have some MAJOR cracks; making it only good for a "boat anchor")
    3. Is the crankshaft worn past acceptable limits?

There is more; but those things would be a "starting point."

I would NEVER purchase a flathead without being able to tear it down and do a LOT of checking. A 20 foot drive doesn't tell ME enough.

6. Beemer

Beemer

I gave $500 for my 8RT. Came with radiator, transmission, and driveshaft. Guy wanted to make his pickup a daily driver and felt it needed a 302. Deal also came with headers and the complete exhause system (new) with Smithy's. I bought it almost two years ago, still running good.

7. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Prices vary around the country. Up here in NH that combo would be ask $500 take $400; those engines are still plentiful.
    If the block turns out bad then the new owner can always get $150-250 for the tranny on Epay. The carb is worth $25-50 and other parts have value at swap meets.

I never pay over $100 for an unknown even if I hear it run. A flatty can have several fatal cracks and still run good since bolts and gaskets are all thats holding it together. Relieve those stresses during a teardown and you have a boatanchor unless you are skilled at fixing those cracks.

8. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

Thanks for the help. This is the first flathed ive had and im sorry to say i dont know much more than what i read or figure out. I dont really have anyone around to help me with them that knows anything about them. the car has 55,000 miles on the odometer. i cant tell you for sure if thats actual or not. I wanted to at least get an idea before I went any further and tore it down. Besides cost, my other reason for thinking about swapping is the fact that the plan is for my brother and I to drive the car cross-country this summer. When I get some time I'll yank the heads and other stuff and do a thorough check around the cylinders, valves and walls.

9. nrfleming

nrfleming

i just paid 500 for a merc, at least it has merc heads on it. actually i bought a chassis so i got everything but the body. if i were you i would try to hang on to it. they aren't getting any cheaper.

Attached Files: