Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Value, 1949 Ford Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Matt Miller, Sep 6, 2020.

1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Good deal on the engine .:) The rest maybe not so much written in stone.

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I am not knocking on your prices , but you have to find a buyer close enough to pick them up .

3. Budget36

Budget36

Good luck with what they are "fetching" you'll be in the hole. Let us all know how much (in 15 years) you made out ahead.

4. patterg2003

patterg2003

Maybe do a little research and see what the prices average for the parts. The valuation of the parts seem optimistic. Is the engine on a stand and running or is it all based on what the owner is selling? The owner may be well intentioned but there is no way to see if is in good shape without pulling the heads. It is a flathead and some effort as mentioned should be done to verify its condition. Flatheads are not w/o their issues. It maybe a lot of twists and turns to come up short to sell off the balance of the truck to still have $1000 in an engine that may not be $1000.

Matt Miller likes this.
  5. Matt Miller

Matt Miller

I agree with that, it will take the right buyer.

6. Matt Miller

Matt Miller

Love your cheerful optimism and upbeat tone. Thanks for teaching me where the ignore button is.

7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I agree with offering to buy just the engine, but to me $1500 for a "low mileage, good running, immaculate flathead" sounds a bit low.
    For me, parting out the truck is too much work to net a $1500 engine. You have to deal with advertising, flakes, low ballers, people that want you to ship large parts, etc. It may take you many months (years?) to unload everything. Do you have room for it? Also, do you want strangers visiting your shop and property? Let him do all the work of parting it out.
    I think the seller is way high at $5000 for a basket case. Maybe $3000. The market is soft enough for complete rolling project cars. Buy just the engine.

Matt Miller likes this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

Well, since you wont see this, let me explain.

Spending that kind of money for what you want and thinking you can part out the rest, you'll be in the hole...or, you'll hang on to say the Cab...for 10-15 years, just knowing it's worth XX$$...now, ya might get lucky and flip it, but more than likely in 10 years you'll still be looking at it and want it out of the way....off it goes for 250...ok...

The price you're looking at for a truck with nice engine...well...if ya have the coin, then have one buit for you. Less clutter (says a man that trips when he walk down the driveway.)

But you do as need fit, I'm sure that my opinion means squat.

leon bee likes this.