Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vacuum Wiper Motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by StLouisSled, May 7, 2008.

1. StLouisSled

StLouisSled

Anyone know where I can get a rebuild kit for a 58 Caddy vacuum wiper motor? I found an electric conversion on eBay....but they want a bunch of money. Thought maybe I'd try rebuilding my stock one.
    Thanks

2. vacumn motors go left right/left right , etc.....

the electric wiper motors used on rear window wipers on vans, hatchbacks etc do the same motion...left right/left right, etc....

if you are handy, one of those electric motors can be fitted w/a short lever arm and tied into the existing wiper linkages.....

time to visit a wrecking yard.....check out the dodge mini-vans rear window wiper motors.....lots of torque....

3. If you take it apart; there is a seal that keeps the vacuum on one side of the wiper or the other, this is the main trouble spot. Vasaline was the old trick, also you could suck some fluid in the vacuum hose simply by sticking the hose in a container and cycling the blades, maybe some trans-x? Might soften it enough to seal again.

4. Willy301

Willy301

I am not sure if they are the same or similar, but when I bought a 51 Willys PU truck, there were several that looked like NOS or fresh rebuilt ones. If these would help, drop me a line I had to sell the Willys and the guy didn't want any of the extra parts.

5. Fossil

Fossil

6. Squirt some Silicon Lubricant down the vacuum line.

My 50 Plymouth coupe wipers started working fairly well after they got a shot of silicon.

You have to do it every now and then.

Rain-X is the way to go, stuff works better than they say.
    I use it on all my vehicles.
    Works best above 35 mph.
    I don't use the wipers most times and night vision in the rain is highly improved over wipers at night.

7. Paul2748

Paul2748

Use Auto trans fluid - suck it into the housing it swells the leather?? flapper in there providing a seal. The exhaust may smoke a while until the fluid is sucked out.