Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vacuum hose length for brake booster, does length effect diameter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atotalnincompoop, Aug 2, 2015.

1. I am currently tying up all the loose ends on my 38 coe build. I have mounted the engine in the bed of the truck.
    I am wanting to run some steel fuel line under the truck as my vacuum line for the brake booster. The line will end up being 8 feet long or so. I have a roll of 5/16" line. The original booster hose was 3/8" .
    This may sound like a stupid question but at this point i dont want to experiment.
    Over a long distance like that, does the diameter of the line effect the amount of vacuum it will pull?
    Thnx☺

2. aaggie

aaggie

Not really, vacuum systems are like hydraulics in that equal pressure is felt everywhere in the system. I would use a hose the size of the fitting on the booster. It might work better to fabricate a steel line for most of the distance then a short rubber connector at either end.

3. That was my plan to put a piece of rubber hose at each end.
    I just happen to have the 5/16" line and didnt want to buy the 3/8" if not required

4. Its funny i have dumped a ton if cash and time into this thing and now im getting all cheap at the end☺

5. squirrel

squirrel

Doesn't affect the amount of static vacuum it can pull. But it might affect the time it takes to pull that vacuum. I don't know if you'd notice the difference...but there must be some reason why all OEM brake booster vacuum lines are 3/8", and why they run larger line on things like hydrovacs under older trucks?

6. I was thinking there may be a slight lag in vacuum upon engine start but i font start and imediately go anyways.
    Ok, thanks guys im going for it

7. squirrel

squirrel

engine start up isn't the problem, the problem is panic stops :)

8. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I agree. I'd run the 3/8 like it should have. It won't cost that much for a length of 3/8 pipe to do it right. Don't skimp on brake stuff.

9. stimpy

stimpy

more like a multiple pedal application in a short period of time might cause problems ,its the press and release not the steady application .

a vacuum reserve canister near the master can help the situation , IMo I would run the 3/8 line so the vacuum can not have any restriction and using hard line is a good Idea over long lengths

10. Good idea, ill pick up some 3/8" on tuesday, monday is a holiday here in canada so nothing is open. And ill score a vacuum canister from the wrecker as well.
    Thanks

11. squirrel

squirrel

I peeked under the old bus, it has 1/2" steel line to the hydrovac which is near the transmission. Probably a similar setup to yours.

12. I actually have a ton of 1/2" copper, it wont even look like a boiler room if i paint it chassis black.

tb33anda3rd likes this.