Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Vacuum assist tranny on 41 Chevy Special Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Coastie Tom, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Coastie Tom

Coastie Tom

I just picked up a 3 spd tranny with vacuum assist attached to it. the tranny came from a 41 Fleetline 4 door. Is this a bolt on to the Special Deluxe coupe? I can't see how it bolts on or how the linkages hook up.

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Tom, it's time to buy a shop manual ... wait'll you see what's in there. All '40-'48 Chev passenger cars came with the thing. Those damn vacuum shift set-ups seldom worked right and are absolute misery to even work on if parts could be found. Millions of them were replaced with a simple arm sold by dozens of replacement parts outfits ... Lyon and Champ are 2 brands that come to mind.

3. They are nice and smooth if you get them done right, there are lots of repop bits available for them, but as 302GMC said, most have been turfed out and replaced by now.
    The Champ industries ones come up on Evilbay occasionaly.

4. Coastie Tom

Coastie Tom

yeah i have seen the $150 pieces of metal rod!

5. Coastie Tom

Coastie Tom

Ahh crap...nevermind!...when i picked it up the bracket was unbolted from the tranny and flopping around. The guy told me it bolts to the side frame but I think he just forgot since he ripped that engine out long ago.

6. greybeard360

greybeard360

I have a repop manual for that in the classified section.

7. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Some of it does bolt to the frame - there's a filter for the canister exhaust with a hose leading to it ...
    A good mechanic can make a shift arm quite easily.

8. rudestude

rudestude

I have the manuals.....if you haven't got the info your looking for maybe this will help... I have other info if needed....[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jeepsterhemi likes this.