Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vacuum advance to manifold vacuum?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr T body, Jun 19, 2013.

1. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Vaccum for your brakes should have the check valve connected at the manifold or close to it. From there the hose should have a "T" fitting at a convenient place with one branch to the booster and the other to the reserve can. Be sure the valve is installed facing the right direction. Many cans are simply a tin can with a hose barb on one end. Go to the junk yard and look around for something. You can also buy one from hot rod parts dealers. One about the size of a
    64 oz. fruit juice can is ideal.

2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

The fitting that pushes into the booster on GM is usually the check valve . I don't recall seeing a reserve tank for the brakes on OEM vehicles , for vacuum actuators , yes, but not brake boosters .

Blues4U likes this.
  3. Hotrodjohn71

Hotrodjohn71

I'm checking back into this thread after 2 years to put a finalization to my questions.
    After road testing for a while, I have no negative issues regarding all of my manifold vacuum questions.
    The engine runs like a Swiss watch.
    Thanks for the advice.

x77matt and theHIGHLANDER like this.
  4. hepme

hepme

In my day of pet dino's, we absolutely had to have the old Delco dual point centrifugal advance distributors-just why I never knew but had to have one. They did work great, not point float was the main theme behind them, but not the best for everyday use. I still have one I converted to a Pertronix type guts, still has the old look but new performance-and yeah, still not the best for street cars. Hell of shelf item though.

5. LOL maybe on a Ford. :D :D :D

I seldom run vac advance. I usually get way better mileage than the rest of the people on the HAMB. Well maybe not way better commonly in the 20 MPG range. granted mileage is way more then distributer.

That said @Crazy Steve your explanation is spot on. Simple and anyone with half a brain can understand it. :cool: Everyone should find a way to save Steve's explanation and post it in a month when the question comes up again.