Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vacume gauge to set timing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrconcdid, May 9, 2012.

1. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I would like to know the steps for setting the base timing using a vacume gauge. I just bought one and would like to check it against my timing light.
    Also does this method work on all non computer engines ford/chevy/ dodge? modified and stock engine?

1. motor warm/cold? does it matter?
    2. distributer vac unhooked?
    3. what port do I hook my gauge to? manifold or carb? at idle vac or off idle vac?
    4. do I hold rpm at a certin speed or at idle?
    5. mechanical weights in distributer?

Im guessing warm, at manifold port, Distributer unhooked, at idle since you loose vac at WOT.

Now once max vacume is found and distributer is tight, what about mechanical advance and vacume advance, is it always a rule 30-34 degrees total timing.

I ask because I want to learn, I want to have a good understanding of the process, so I can add it to my bag of tricks (tools).

Thanks you
    Godspeed
    MrC.

2. BillyG

BillyG

I've used this techinque and it's very simple. Follow the vacuum hose back from the distributor to the source. Disconnect the line and connect your guage here.
    With a completely warmed engine at the proper curb idle you will be gently turning the distributor (first loosen bolt) to advance timing to obtain the highest vacuum reading as shown on your gauge.
    Tighten the dist. hold down bolt or nut and go for a test drive. If under acceleration you hear pigning (engine knock), slightly move dist. in the oposite direction you previously moved it ( retard). Drive again and adjust untill there is no more detonation under accel. This will be the optimum amount of advance for your particular engine.
    This technique also eliminates any errors at the dampener when using a timing light which could result from a shift between the rubber insolated halves of the dampener.

3. My process is Motor warm at Idle. I use a manifold port not Carb port. Vac adv hooked up. Adjust carb idle screws as best as you can as well as idle rpm. Once I find max vac I re adjust the idle screws as well as idle stop. Now I back off timing 2 inch lbs of Vac re set idle rpm and re check for max vac and back off again 2 inch lbs. This should give you motor prefered best performance. 30-34 degrees is not always a for sure on all motors.
    The Wizzard

4. (Quote) If under acceleration you hear pigning (engine knock), slightly move dist. in the oposite direction you previously moved it ( retard).

This can be caused by to much total advance and best prefered timing at idle.