Register now to get rid of these ads!

vaccum for distributer in 303 log manifold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skunk victim, Jul 20, 2009.

1. i tried my best to search and am hoping someone can send me in the right direction. im running a 6x2 log intake on my olds 303 running the outter 4 carbs only, the center 2 are blocked off. what can i do about my vaccum for the distributer? i hope this wasnt a dumb question but its something i cant figure out on my own.

thanks
    keith

2. showrod

showrod

are you running Strombergs? If so Stromberg made bases that have a vacume port. less common but out there.

3. no strombergs for me, holley 94s. would it make more sence to tap one of my center carbs that are dummys for now instead of the intake?

4. That won't work if you have them blocked off with plates.....:eek:

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Have you had a vaccum gge on it. I would be surprised if it had enough vaccum to properly operate a vaccum advance. I think a full mechanical advance dist. is what you need. Hint--I said THINK. Not KNOW.

6. I put a fitting in the bottom of one of my crossover tubes and it works great. Solved the problem and you can't see it. I used a piece of tubing and some rubber to make the connections. Hope this helps.

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

As curbspeed said ...drill and tap one of the balance tubes as seen here. The big one in the middle is for the power brake booster. The smaller one on the left is for the vacuum advance.

8. hmmm...mine are rubber, for the log manifold otherwise that would be the way to go, unless i can rig that up somehow? as far as having the block off plate, i would have it run through it of course...

9. showrod

showrod

how about using spacers under the carbs and one gets tapped for a vacuum port.

10. i suppose i could. id rather avoid that. would it matter if i tap the intake in any old spot or is that what is important?

11. showrod

showrod

what kind of intake is it? Id hate to see you drill something rare.

12. How about getting a piece of metal tubing that would fit into the rubber tube, drill and weld a vacuum fitting into it , cut the rubber tube down and place in the middle between the logs ? :D

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  13. Thats what I suggested. It works great. Try it.

Attached Files:

14. nothing rare just an old edelbroke 6x2 for an olds. i think ive got it now. thanks for all the responces. curbspeed... very very kick ass motor