Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vacation in Milwaukee

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lc1963, Jun 21, 2010.

1. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

I will be normal vacationing with the wife but would like to slip in some hot rod fun. I saw the Harley Museum but wanted to know if there are any worthwhile shops, dealers or really neat things not to miss during visit. Also any local restaurants that would be recommended. Really like to avoid chains. Thanks in advance hambers.

2. redhawk74

redhawk74

if youre going to mil, then you have to hit up the safe house, food is what it should be, and the place is really different, but cool. it has a "spy" theme.

<LI class=adr>779 North Front Street, Milwaukee, WI 53202 <LI class="tel otNoRsrv">(414) 271-2007 | www.safe-house.com/

3. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

i disagreee with the safe house, teh food sucks..

anyways.. pm me the type of restaurants and stuff youre tryin to do and ill help you out..

4. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

If you like music Summer Fest starts this Thursday great venue of everything music.
    Just google Summer Fest Milwaukee for the schedule it won't disappoint .
    Tom Petty and ZZ Top Sat.

5. Rods-N-Relics 20th Anniversary (FREE) car show at Lime Kiln Park, Grafton, Wisconsin, about 25 miles north of Milwaukee, up hywy 43. 200 plus cars, DJ, Food, Booze, Live Jazz Bands from 2pm til 10pm.

6. Rods-n-Relics Show JUNE 26TH, Sat.

7. Karknocker

Karknocker
    from Kearney,Mo

J.W. Rod Garage

8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

9. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

Thanks alot

10. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

Will try to stop a Jefferson
    Neat cars
    Thanks for all the help so far

11. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Gotta try some frozen custard while you are here. Milwaukee County Zoo is one of the best in the country and in a nice part of town with easy freeway access and parking.

What days and what kind of food? Also what part of town are you staying in?
    PM if you want specifics on anywhere. Lived here my whole life and happy to help.

John

12. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

Wed thru fri
    All kinds of food
    nothing in particular
    I live in southeast Iowa and we have the usual fast food joints. There are those local owned places that have the best food that only the locals would know about
    I had been up to Milwaukee quite some time ago and was impressed with the city.
    When the wife said let's go somewhere close Milwaukee came to mind.
    Looking forward to just getting away.
    This is actually our first vacation in 26 years with no kids.

13. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

There's a few cruise ins if that's what you're looking for. I personally like Wayne's Drive In in Cedarburg, north of Milwaukee. A good family type of crowd held at an old '50s drive. If the weather's good there will be a lot of cars. It's every Thursday night. Good drive in type of food. They don't have a web site but you can Google to get directions:

Wayne's Drive-In
    1331 Covered Bridge Road
    Cedarburg, WI 53012
    Phone: (262) 375-9999

14. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I vacationed there last summer and went to the new Harley museum which was awesome. Also visited Bobwop's Top Notch Vehicles ( he has some way cool Kustoms and gassers) and also the nearby Hartford, WI car museum was fantastic. Strolling along the lakeside was nice and we took some kind of boat tour of Milwaukee which was not bad either. I went to a couple of cruise nights too. Do some googling.

15. There area few local milwaukee car shows but nothing to fun....ie multi car show with little to nothing of excitement for us like minded folks. HD museum is cool, lots of neat history on the bikes.
    Cheater Chris owns the nite owl resturant near the airport, cool place and good burgers.
    I'm just west of Milwaukee PM me if you want more info.

Safe house food sucks ass....cool place to have a beer or two, but i wouldn't waste the time

16. snelson57

snelson57

OK, I'm in...

Restaurants worth checking out IMHO, all moderately priced:

Cubanitas (Cuban)
    728 North Milwaukee Street
    Milwaukee, WI 53202-4404

Three Brothers (Serbian)
    2414 S Saint Clair St
    Milwaukee, WI 53207
    Bring cash - no CC's here!

Maxie Southern Comfort (Creole / Louisana comfort food)
    6732 West Fairview Avenue
    Milwaukee, WI 53213-3937

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Balistreri's Italian-American (Pizza)</TD></TR><TR><TD>812 North 68th St.</TD></TR><TR><TD>Milwaukee, WI 53213</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Cafe LuLu (Sandwiches - hit this one for lunch, try the casablanca burger)
    2265 South Howell Avenue
    Milwaukee, WI 53207-1325

Hard to beat the Nite Owl on Layton, as others said, for a burger and it is Hamber owned! Come back for the Cheaters show....it is worth it.

Cruise nights:

Wednesday Night Classics
    Pistol Pete's in Brookfield, WI

Thursday
    Waynes Drive-In
    Cedarburg, WI
    If you see Green Boss 351, that is mine. Say hello.

Have a great trip.

17. 392_hemi

392_hemi

Nite Owl and Kopps are good for casual dining. Also a number of good traditional German restuarants. Maders probably is the most well known. Not sure if there's any decent brewery tours left, but there are some craft breweries worth checking out if you want to take a drive. Like Tyranena in Lake Mills.

18. for pure entertainment try any George Webb between two and 5 in the morning. The floorshow is like nothing you've ever seen. The Chili with extra onions and cheese will stay with you till you're back home.

19. I agree on "Waynes World" very Cool!!!!

But Don't bother going to "Pistol Petes" (Pete treats everybody poorly!)

Wednesday Night Classics moved to the "Gasthous" in Waukesha!!!!
    Bigger lot... Better Food and Awesome hosts!

Another Wednesday night Hotspot is the "Lannon House"' Very close to Milwaukee with great food and a variety of cars to suit everybody.

Tuesdays Cruise at "Hardys" on hwy 83 and I-94..., Schlotzkies in Menmonee Falls are good to hit as well.

Virtually theres a cruise every night and a major show every weekend during the summer.

If you have time... try to make it to "Great Lakes Dragway" for a memorable trip to one of the midwests oldest tracks!

How about Hot Rods of the Sky???

Wings over Waukesha this weekend... with a couple P51's, B17's, Tons of other old fighter/trainer jets and prop warbirds with many classic cars as well.

20. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

AJ Bombers downtown on Water Street for a good burger with a great atmosphere. The Brass Monkey on 116th and Greenfield Ave is a nice local bar with a great burger also. Get the jalepenos on yours with the pepperjack cheese = Awesome. Harley Museum like already mentioned, the Art Museum is cool too. Gus's Mexican Cantina has a cruise night on Wednesdays which is a blast and $5 margaritas! Do a brewery tour at Lakefront Brewery. Eat at the Milwaukee Ale House. Drink a lot cuz after all, the beer is freshest here in Brew Town! Have a ball!

21. Engine-Ear

Engine-Ear
    Alliance Vendor

Frozen Custard in MILWAUKEE proper:

-Gilles on 75th and BlueMound Road. Been there since '38 (been remodeled a couple too many times) but the burgers and the CUSTARD are my fave.

(I'd suggest Leon's on 27th and Oklahoma but they are not car-friendly and although their place is cool and unchanged since about 1950, they are not car people. Sorry, just being straight with you.)

Museums-

Calatrava (sp?) at the lakefront. Head over to the War Memorial immediately north of it, too.

Horticulture-

Mitchell Park Domes

Boerner Botanical Gardens

Brewery and related Tours-

Lakefront Brewery (google it)

Sprecher Brewery (google it)

Rehorst Distillery (google it)

Cool bars - anything NOT on Water Street. Some cool places there but too many dorks and bimbettes with cell-phones bonded to their heads and in this town, you do NOT need to wait in a line to refresh yourself.

Bryant's on the near south side

Cohanski's (sp?) off of about 42nd and Mitchell

Brady street and all the hemp-clad, trust-afarians at the various cafes and pubs...good people watching and often some good live music around there.

Well, this doesn't even scratch the surface, but I hope it helps.

Enjoy your visit!!

22. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

If I get to Mil can I still see Lavern and Shirley at the brewery??

23. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

Just wanted to give a big thanks to all the hambers that posted. I have never been on vacation where my wife said she wanted to go back and spend more time.
    Didn't make cruise nights this time but will be back.
    Kopps and Leons were great
    AJ Bombers was excellent
    Art Museum - what an amazing structure
    Harley Museum was great
    Summerfest - Wow - You guys throw a party
    Ran out of time
    Again Thanks

24. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I've lived here all my life, 47+, and never really wanted to stick around here much.

Happy to here you had a great time.

25. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

My wife and her sister leave for Milwaukee area (actually Port Washington) in a couple of days and plan to stay overnite at Lake Geneva and ride on the mail boat that delivers US Mail to lake front homes on the water. Sounds like fun.

26. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Check out Great Lakes Drag-a-way in Union Grove, right down the road from Milwaukee.