Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods v8 swap for 38 stude

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38stude, Jun 4, 2014.

1. 38stude

38stude

I have a 38 stude sedan. Looking to replace 226 six with a 289 stude v8. I want to use original transmission with the new engine. Trying not to affect floor boards of car. Any one out there with knowledge of this swap? Thanks

2. Broken tranny unless you never get traction or hammer it. I don't know of an off the shelf adapter. You can make the tranny survive if you learn to finesse it but not many rodders drive that well.

The later 3 speed for the V8 is not huge and should slip in pretty easy. You may want to set the entire unit ( engine and tranny) lower in the chassis but you shouldn't have to.

3. aircap

aircap

Have you asked over on the forum of the Studebaker Drivers Club? (go to the source)

4. with PorknBeaner and Aircap......the later frames maybe 49 up through the 60's will take the V/8 mounts where the six will go and yes drops the V/8 down a bit....would think it would go in the early frame but not sure of the firewall....good luck....

5. 38stude

38stude

Thanks for the information

Thanks for the info.