Register now to get rid of these ads!

V8 Flat-Plane Crank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JaysinSpaceman, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Hey there~ I am looking for any info on Aftermarket Chevy V8 Flat-plane cranks old or new. I would love to build one of these little screamers for the street. Just wondering if anyone out there know anything about them. Thanx Jaysin

2. racer5c

racer5c

call tom Leib at Scat Crankshafts

3. You will have better luck getting info if you call it a 180 degree crank, I bellieve that is what would be most familiar term to most people.

Now, why do you want this? It has been tried in racing, but does not offer the proposed benefit. The benfit being that it helps space the intake and exhaust flows out on each side of the engine. You in effect make two 4 cyl engines running together. If it really worked do you think that it would be more common? At a minimum you need special crank and cam, for the money spent you could buy better components using the stock design configuration. I just do not see where you are better off with the 180 crank and all the associated differences.

4. It's not so much for the power, mostly I just like to do things differently. This type of crank is used extensivily in serious top end engines. Things like IRL, formula 1, Ferraris and Lamborginis. Their biggest problem is harmonics and if you can put up with that the motor will make big gains in performance. Any way Just the info I'm looking for right now. Thanx For the input.

5. budd

budd

i have been looking for info on a flat crank for a sbc..i started a thread awhile back but no one came back saying they had one or knew someone who did( flat crank SBC )my own search of a new crank came back with a $3500 price tag.. i know there must still be some kicking around out there..i used to be into truck pulling and there was a guy who was running one in a 350 with hilborn injection..man that thing turned up and i dont recall it ever blowing...if you ever find one or maybe two i`d like to know...Lawrence

6. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

Hey there Spaceman, I ran one in my sprint car years ago and I thought I still had it but I looked for a bit and couldn't find it,if you do find one and the cam it will make for one serious sounding chevy, I run one in my flathead and have a good time with it

7. Thanx for the input I'm going to keep looking, I think it would but serious fun to build one of these motors. If I find a source for them I will make sure and post it here. And if I find a couple of cranks I will let you know, Lawrence. Thanx Guys.

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What about 180deg headers? How much difference?

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

180 degree headers offer the benefit of smoothing out the torque curve thus making a more linear power band. When I was contracting fab work from Howe Racing we developed a 180 header for big and small Chevys that were for dedicated oval track cars. Howe sold hundreds of sets and i believe they still sell them today. The reason I say dedicated is that they have their collectors at the back of the engine behind the distributer so they don't fit any street car application. Although the benefits are well documented it's almost impossible to get the tubing configured in a street driven car which must have a stock type firewall and sumped oil pan. Two cylinders off each bank have to cross over and connect with two cylindrs on the opposite bank to complete the 180 design.

Frank

10. dave s

dave s

i was talking to an old guy who was telling me about his 180 flathead he had in an old model a drag car. he was talking about his sixty foot times being super low, but after that there wasnt much gain. definatly cool as all get out, though....

11. Bugman

Bugman

Ironically, most forged cranks start out as flat forgings and are then twisted into the shape we are familiar with.

On the 180* headers, they are still readily avalible, but because they are made sor stock cars and have the collectors above and to the right of the trans, they won't fit in a standard car chassis.

12. Richard/SIA

Richard/SIA
    from No. Nevada

Maybe the price would come down with more buyers?
    There is a guy selling built engines but he will not sell components and his price is crazy.
    I want to do a 327.

Response to my Moldex inquiry.
    Always interested. What stroke you looking at price starts at $2500

Joe Flower
    Moldex Crankshaft Co.
    12255 WORMER ST.
    Redford, Mi 48239
    (313)387-6099 Phone
    (313)387-6122 Fax

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL