Register now to get rid of these ads!

V8-60

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot rod wille, Aug 19, 2012.

1. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

I have been talking to a friend about a car he has--a model T type runabout.It's got an early Pinto motor with some outdated 70's-80's fuel injection/ ignition systems on it. It's been giving him fits lately--run bad, too rich, multiple miss problems,etc. The biggest problem is most parts in the systems are obsolete: even if we want to fix it, we have to reengineer the whole systems.
    I had a wild idea: how about doing a V8-60 motor---it would fit the car,both size-wise and era-wise. The problem is: I don't know shit about V8-60 motors!
    Is this even a possiblity? Is there even enough hard parts out there to bulid a "reasonable" motor and not spend cubic dollars?
    I'd like to hear any first-hand info about someone who's been there--opinions are nice, but I'd rather hear facts. And if you ave any pictures, please post them--I'm sure my friend would like to see what he's in for.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  2. <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_67raSk-RAI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

If obsolete and having to reengineer things is what you don't like about your present set-up how is a V-8 60 going to change that?

I understand you reasons for specifying only accurate responses, but this is an internet forum, so good luck with that.:)

4. tedspain@gmail.com

tedspain@gmail.com
    from nz

I know of somone who has a 60 in a T

5. Fortyfordguy

Fortyfordguy

Here are a couple things to ponder.....the V8-60 has to be hooked up with the 60hp trans which uses the torque tube driveshaft & banjo rear end. Also, unless you luck into a running 60 motor for cheap, expect to spend large dollars for parts. Certain parts like bearings are not made anymore, and are EXPENSIVE when you can find them. That said, they are perfect for a small light car.

6. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

How did they hook them up in early midgets?

7. von birch

von birch

cut down the torque tube

8. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Most ran without a conventional clutch and transmission. They used a coupler on the crank which engaged a dog clutch in an in-out box. That box was designed to mate with a torque tube.

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I never fooled with a 60 but I am interested to know why they "Have to be hooked up to a 60hp trans"? In my roadster I have run a Pinto two liter, a Lotus 907 engine from a Jensen-Healy, a 32 Plymouth four cylinder engine and now have a 26 Dodge Bros. engine in it. Through all those engines I have kept the original Pinto 4 speed. Why cant the OP do the same? PS I did have a buddy with a V8-60 Midget and I thought it had an in-out box made of model A parts.

10. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

Little doubt that Mac knows the several solutions to the transmission issue behind a sixty. I prefer the sixties truck transmission because I have found a few for my 60 project. 45years ago I simply trimmed an early Ford top shift trans to clear the 60 starter Bendix. Both these transmissions can be fitted with a '42 and beyond light duty commercial main shaft and rear bearing retainer which is an open drive. The toy 60 transmission is nicely scaled, but not as easy to open drive. Love the sixty but bearings are perhaps the biggest problem. Good Luck: Fred A

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

Frank Mack originally built his Track Roadster to have a V8-60 in it,.... but it proved to be too anemic for him,... It was in the car only for a very short time (like a month) and he switched it out for the lil' fltties big brother..... He would tell me it just wasn't "peppie" enough on the street.

12. PackardV8

PackardV8

Random thoughts:

1. Yer tradin' from easy, available and cheap to re-engineer for difficult, rare and expensive to re-engineer.
    2. Do it anyway. A T-hotrod is supposed to have a Ford flathead in there. Sixty horsepower is plenty enough for T suspension, steering and brakes.
    3. A friend of mine built a French Simca V8-60-powered motorcycle. It's cooler than a hunnerd Harleys.

jack vines

13. sailingadventure

sailingadventure

Well, I have five of those blocks and a few speed parts left over from my tank car. The big problem is the cost of the re-build parts for this motor. Any early top loader will bolt up to the V8 60 block, I don`t remember what year model I used for the transmission, but it works just fine.

Attached Files:

14. Gary in MN

Gary in MN

Hi Hot Rod Wille: I dropped a V8 60hp into a '28 "A" roadster pickup. Fun to drive, not alot of power in the stock form. I will send you a pm with my phone number if you want to talk. Gary In MN.

2007 50's 28 RPU 001.jpg

15. If you can find and afford the piecces to build a 60 like this, you'll have plenty of power to pull a T around.

[​IMG]

16. MARVIN CT

MARVIN CT

I put a 60hp in my '52 MGTD a couple years ago. At first I put in an '85hp topload transmission (used a small gear-type starter so no problem with the stock starter cutout). Later I put in a Mustang T5, much better. The rear end is stock with 3.9 gears. I've been quite happy with the whole project. Now, if I can just stop the oil leaks from the water pumps....Marvin

17. Two ways to look at it, the V-8 60 would be a good fit for a eun about, look the part and be fun to cruise. But you are absolutly correct the 60 will cost cubic dollars unless you just get lucky and find one alread supoed and just needs fresnening.

The pinto can be down graded real easy to a carb and ignition, I don't recall ever seeing one injected and my mom owned the last pinto ever built (an '80 steel stallion). All of them I ever saw had a holly/weber progressive 2 bbl and a distributer. most of the ones that have a miss only need a new control mod, they are cheap at O'Reilly's.

If the one you have has electronic injection you can buy an intake carb and distributer cheaper than you are going to build a V-8 60 for damned sure.

All that said I would be all over the old 60 horse motor if I had a line on one they are cool. A little under powered as flat heads go but they are cool.

18. the shadow

the shadow

wow, love the trans shift linkage it's TITs!
    PC