Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical V8-60 Tube vs. I-Beam

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by suede55bowtie, Apr 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. quick question...

Are the v8-60 tube axles and I beams the same width? As in king pin clearences etc etc.

I searched for hours on here and Google too. Thanks for the time!

2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I think the with is probably the same but the kingpin bolts are smaller on the tube axle.

3. Ok awesome. That's not too big of a deal...Just the relation of kingpin to spring perch, if it's the same. That's my main concern

4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

If the round back spindle came out in '37, shouldn't it be able to fit the tube axle?

5. King pins are the same on tube or I beam. No difference you can use one in place of the other

LOU WELLS likes this.
  6. The relationship of the king pin to the spring perch is NOT the same as a beam axle. It is a little narrower. I run a V8-60 with split bones on my coupe. The turning radius is pretty big due to the tires hitting the wishbones.
    It's still worth it to run the sexiest axle ever made. ;)

Atwater Mike likes this.
  7. titus

titus

a 37-40 ford I beam axle has the same measurements as a "37 tube" axle but 28-36 i beam axles are different. all ford spindles will fit on a tube axle, if you do spring over with pearch bolts you will have to get a special main leaf

Carter likes this.
  8. Awesome thanks guys

9. They use the same King Pins, but I do believe V8-60 tube axle uses a different king pin locking bolt.

Can anyone confirm this?

Xman likes this.
  10. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

See my first post. V8 60 tube axles use a smaller lock bolt and they are scarce as hens teeth. I found a metric bolt that is the right diameter and used a couple for a while. I ended up cutting down a couple of S.S. 1/2 " bolts to fit.

11. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

i have a 37 tupe in my rpu and it used the same kingpins as beam axil, used a spring over the axil,was a 37 front spring ,cause i wanted the smoth taper of the 37 spring, had to heve a mainleaf rolled and narrowed on ends to match shackle bosses, spring hangs off front of frame.

12. Blake 27

Blake 27

13. Blake 27

Blake 27

I replaced the original 40 beam with a 37 tube. It bolted right in but I had the first two leaves re-made because I was nervous about re-chroming the main leaf .
    After driving the car in primer, to check ride height etc, I had the spring flattened a little.
    My wishbones mount inside the frame rails giving me a tighter turning radius.

14. patrick english

patrick english
    from La puente

Very nice setup. Sorry to hijack but,I was recently told that i cant use split bones with a tube axle,but i see that your car is awesome.Have you had any problems with it?

15. Blake 27

Blake 27

Patrick, The problem with a tube is it wont twist like a beam will. Ford connected the ends of the wishbones creating a triangle so the whole unit could rock.
    I lengthened my wishbones and I only have about 2 1/2" of wheel travel. I realize it puts stress on things but I've seen a lot of guys running similar set ups. 14,00 miles so far with no problems.

patrick english likes this.
  16. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Wasn't the tube axle on the V8-60? Is it a lighter duty axle?

17. Ok cool thanks Blake! You answered my question about turning radius.....

I see a ton a guys running the '37 tube axles but I've got a '37 I beam and was told to ditch it because of the turning radius....so the dudes with a spring over setup on the v8-60 tube don't have problems with their turning radius even though the axles are the same width and have the same kingpin to spring perch relation?

My plan was to run 4.75/5.00 tires up front with shorter A bones mounted to the inside of my frame to give me a little more turning freedom. (Spring over axle setup) Any more comments on this?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  18. Well that depends on what axle you are comparing it to I suppose. Same year axle same dimensions. make sense?

If you have one it is the same dims as the '37 ford I beam.

Not lighter duty they were car axles, the V8-60 axle came on the econo box of the day with the 60 hp motor as opposed to the 85 HP motor.

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Blake...Your T looks like a perfect fendered version of Tommy Ivo's T!
    ('50 Merc wheels, 'ash cans', wwws, super detailing...) Great to see the chassis pic, with axle/wishbone detail...

I read someone was tooling up to make a repro '37-'40 tube axle. (not the 'Super Bell')
    I have a couple, both under 'T's.

20. Yessiree. Thanks for the time porknbeaner and everybody else!

21. Blake 27

Blake 27

22. If I could borrow an axle to copy I would be repoping them. I have already sourced equipment and materials.

23. 117harv

117harv

Can someone post some good close up shots of the king pin lock bolts?

24. von Dyck

von Dyck

Does anyone know if the '37 tube axle is lighter in weight than the '37 I-beam?
    Also, did FoMoCo deem them more economical to manufacture than the I-beam?
    Oh, in case you're wondering, the tube in the avatar is a fabbed unit using the '37 beam as a template. It has a round cross section - the Ford unit has an oval cross section. It is a very good fake.

hotcoupe likes this.
  25. 117harv

117harv

I get 19 1/2 lbs. for the 37-41 beam and 16 1/2 lbs for the V8 60.

26. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I can vouch for that I didn't notice until he told me it wasn't a V8 60.
    Gary

27. titus

titus

i did a weight comparison a while back, i think it was 2lbs lighter, ill see if i can find where i posted it

28. 2muchstuff

2muchstuff
    from Eastern KS

Original 60 tube axle lock bolts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

117harv likes this.
  29. jebbesen

jebbesen
    from Winona, MN

Ford 78-3221 Tube axle locking pin print. In the Green Book, it gives part# 78-3221 as the locking pin and gives an OAL of 3.2". This drawing is measured directly off one of my pins. I know this is an old thread but just thought I'd put this drawing out there in case anyone needs it. Also there was discussion in different threads about kingpins. My Tube axle has normal kingpins with the notch rather than a radius. I think it was all original. The Green Book does not list any special kingpins for the tube axle.

PXL_20210419_174928699.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  30. I made 10 sets of these using the Green bible specs. Sold all but a pair.

Attached Files:

jebbesen likes this.