Register now to get rid of these ads!

V8 60 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Motorvator, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Motorvator

Motorvator

How much power can be made with a v8 60? I know xyidias got over 150mph ,are people getting a lot more today?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

How deep is your wallet???

Didnt the ohv ones make 85ish hp from the factory? I'm sure a 3-71 would liven one up too

3. Normbc9

Normbc9

Here is one on a stand with Smith Valve convertors and another with ARDUN Heads in an MGTD. Both are impressive BUT parts are hard to find and not inexpensive either.
    Normbc9

Attached Files:

4. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I had a V8-60 in my avatar, Edlebrock heads, two 94's, duals, 3.78 rearend and was very disappointed with it, it didn't make power until about 2500 rpms. That is why they were in midgets and boats, they were always wrapped tight. they run great at higher rpms but don't make much torque. Nice little engines to play with but not good on the street.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. ems customer service

ems customer service

the mathimatical formula for horsepower is

" bank account x ego = horsepower"

6. PackardV8

PackardV8

V8-60 horsepower is the most expensive kind of V8 power. Each additional horse costs several multiples of a OHV8 horsepower and stops being streetable above 80 hp. A 150 MPH V8-60 was most likely running nitro and/or supercharging and probably had a lifespan in single digit minutes.

A friend of mine put one in a sickle and in a 600# bike it makes a nice cruiser but in any more than 1500# car I've ever driven with a 60hp, I couldn't walk away fast enough. Your opinions and results may vary.

jack vines

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Motorvator - just asking to ask, or have one you are planning to run in something?

8. jguff

jguff

In 1951 Hot Rod Magazine had an article on dyno testing to measure horsepower. A "state of the art" full race 296 cube flathead put out 218 hp on alcohol and 236 hp with nitro added to the alky. 236 hp represents about .8 hp per cubic inch. I don't think today's flatheads with carbs, cam, heads, headers, porting etc would do much better.

A v8 60 of the same basic design, modified the same way would probably put out about the same relative output or about 120 hp out of a 150 cube engine, on fuel.

Jerome

9. Motorvator

Motorvator

Thanks all, I don't have one I just thought I would be cool to build one with all the trick stuff, I already have 5 flatheads ,so I better build some of them first .do fancy a v12 and a 337 lincoln ,oh and a Cadillac .......

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. iroc409

iroc409

Oh... I just need a bigger ego! :p

11. ems customer service

ems customer service

I have a v60 37 ford, it is slow, even a 150hp v60 is gonna be slow in anything but a glass tbucket, it is a cool looking engine for a model a or a rat rod, but any junkyard v6 makes more power.

So th ev60 is not about going fast as it is looking cool

12. Boryca

Boryca
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

That is the best thing I've heard this month!