Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical v8 / 6 cyl transmision

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by COOP, Mar 30, 2014.

1. COOP

COOP

Pulling a 250 6 cyl / 3 speed out of '68 Camaro. I was given the powertrain for removing it. I haven't done it yet,but what I want to know is whether an s10 T-5 will bolt up to the bell housing. Are the 6 and v8 trans' the same bolt pattern? I have a split exhaust and multiple carb intake for this motor. I want to dress it out to look like an old 235 and drop it in something I'm building. Thanx

2. squirrel

squirrel

The 6 and V8 transmissions from 55 on up are the same bolt pattern, mostly.

I don't know about the input shaft on the T5....otherwise, it should bolt on.

3. COOP

COOP

Thanx Squirrel.......... kinda thought you might be out there. Now that gives me more initiative to go and git it. As long as the bolt pattern is the same, I can fudge with clutch discs, pilot brngs, and shaft lengths. whoo- hahh.

4. Kinky6

Kinky6

COOP, first, check the S-10 trans before buying, some of them had a (Ford?) non-standard Chevy bolt pattern on the gear case. All of the Chev/Pont. V8 car T-5's had the standard bolt pattern on the front of the case.

Check the diameter of the large hole for the input bearing mount; this may only be a problem on some '50's truck bell housings. You're probably good there, but check.

Last, like squirrel noted, the input shaft length may be slightly different. If so, some guys have cut off a little bit of the shaft that goes into the pilot bearing, and the same for the throw-out bearing portion of the input bearing housing. Others have coughed up some bucks for a 1/2" or 3/4" thick adapter/spacer plate that does the same thing. Compare the length of the 3 speed input to the T-5.

Aside from that, just the usual clutch, pressure plate & throw-out bearing stuff.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

5. 1963 and up 6 cal share the same bell housing bolt pattern. check the round hole that accepts the trans front cover,you might need a adapter ring from novacs to compensate
    for too much clearance