Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects V12 lincoln build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mk e, Sep 13, 2012.

1. mk e

mk e

Coll project! Do you have pics of any of it?

I'd particularly like to see pics of how you mounted the injectors. I was considering putting the injectors in the valley but had honestly decided it wasn't practical and was planning to just spray into the port while the valve was open and hope most of the fuel go into the cylinder......but pointed at the valve what I'd prefer.

2. I actually tried to attach some pics to my post but for some reason it didn't work. I'm a bit of a klutz when it comes to things like that. I will figure it out and put some up. Meanwhile, there are some photos of my other tuned-port engine on another thread about flathead EFI. If you search my other posts you'll find them. There aren't that many. Mounting the injectors in the valley is a real squeeze and I don't know if the Lincoln has as much room as the 59A. I think some modern engines have smaller injectors than I used though so it might still be possible. I drove that tuned-port engine 40,000 miles over eight years in my '36 coupe and the installation was trouble-free so I guess I can say the concept is proved. Fellow HAMB brother Vergil has also done a similar installation.

3. ttpete

ttpete
    from SE MI

Try the Pico style injectors. They're quite small. I use them in my Ducati.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/edelbrock-fuel-injectors

4. mk e

mk e

Attached Files:

Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  5. Here are a few pictures of my injector mounting system. Not great shots I'm afraid but they should convey the general idea. The mounting blocks are made of Tufnol (fabric reinforced phenolic resin) for its heat insulating properties and proven ability to "live" inside an engine. It's the same material timing gears are made from. Injector wiring is stainless steel with PTFE insulation since ordinary PVC insulation will soon go brittle in that environment.

Attached Files:

6. mk e

mk e

Very cool!

How did you machine the block to accept it.....go in through intake port?

7. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi MK e

I have a great idea for your boat how about a ' Crackerbox ' since they started racing them out here in so=cal in the 40's that would make a great pair

If you are going to build your own hull you could just scale it up a tad if needed for the larger V 12

A restored 60's wood Patterson cracker is the new hot to go boat to hit the Bars with on the River in Az , and haven't changed one bit stll look the same

The A.P.B.A. has the plans for them too, 16 feet of hell raising fun maybe in your case 18 or 19 feet

Neat stuff, G Don

P.S.

If you are thinking about a cracker you need to put a 1/4" key in your V 12 crank snout to drive the prop shaft, no gear box in these babys you change the prop pitch

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. mk e

mk e

Like this one (from glenL)?

It's very cool looking but I was thinking ski boat.

They make variable pitch props for small boats? I've never seen anything about it. That would be kind of cool.

Attached Files:

Deuces and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Mk

A real cracker is all painted with a clear Mahogany dashboard with Maple trim pcs in the center of the gunnel rails at each end of the dash

The Mahogany boat is a one off play boat not the real deal that you see here

When the class first started in the late 40's they used the Ford Flat Heads then in the fiftys some used the little Dodge Hemi then most all went the small block chevys and has stayed the main stay for power with a few fords

The size was 272 cid on gas with any kind of manifold, then about 20 yrs ago they went to one Holley and 320 cid because the early chevy 56' blocks were getting hard to find

For a play boat cracker you would need just one prop, but in racing you need more than one since we used to run on different size course's form one mile to a mile and a third

I did the engine for Tom Patterson's ' Sparkler ' for 6 yrs from 68' to 74' and had a great time racing these ocean going sprint cars and are a thrill at 100 mph in a 16 footer flying in & out of the water

G Don

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  10. 27troadster

27troadster

great project!

Sub'd

Kipp

11. I did my first one of these on an assembled engine so any major machining was out of the question. I drilled a hole in each port for the injector to squirt through using the jig pictured. It's a lump of cast iron from an old railway brake shoe machined to do the job. I've loaned it to someone so don't have it here to refer to but I think the cutter is a 10mm end mill pressed into a piece of .625" steel bar. A vacuum cleaner shoved down the port sucked the swarf away. I needed to create flat surfaces in the valve chamber for the O-rings in the injector blocks to seal against so oil wouldn't be sucked into the ports. To achieve this I applied a "doughnut" of Devcon plastic steel to the engine block around each injector hole and then clamped a smooth steel bar in place while the Devcon cured. I wrapped the steel bar in cling film to act as a parting agent. This worked a treat.
    For my next engine I mounted the bare block on the mill and machined the sealing surfaces flat but I was afraid of breaking through into the water jacket and they didn't quite clean up before I chickened out. I ended up using a little Devcon again to fill the low spots.
    The injector blocks are held in place with 3/16" cheese head capscrews in holes drilled through the bottoms of the inlet manifold bolt holes. The screw heads will just fit inside the root diameter of the 3/8" UNC threads. The screws are not perpendicular to the mating surfaces - not ideal - but the caps on one set of injectors butt up against the caps of the opposite set so tightening the screws produces a wedging action.
    One of the neat things about this whole setup is you can use any kind of intake at all from a stock single-carb setup, using the carb only as an air valve, to a blower as on my later version.

Attached Files:

Fabulous50's and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. mk e

mk e

Really nice work.

I'm going to have to take a take another look at what might be possible on the lincoln.....although I'm a little off track on the project as Honey-dos and a couple sets of ferrari heads have kept my car unfinished and that has to be done first as it in the middle of the shop :(

13. I reasoned that flathead V8 ports would flow better if the sharp corner of the bowl behind the valve stem was filled and blended into the bend in the port. I don't have any data to prove this - it's just a theory. Twenty-something years ago I tried putting some Devcon in there but one piece came loose after a couple of hundred miles and went through the engine so I dug all the others out too. About ten years ago I tried again. This time I drilled and tapped the tops of the guides and screwed a couple of 3/16" studs in there. Once I'd Loctited the guides in place I moulded Devcon around the studs to hold it in place. I recently pulled the heads off this engine after 40,000 miles and was pleased to see the Devcon filler has remained in place. The paper-thin edges where it meets the port walls have crumbled away, leaving maybe a 1 mm step in places but I think there is probably still a net gain in flow by having it in there.
    Again, I have no evidence that this works but if anyone has done some flow testing on filled bowls I'd love to hear about it.

Attached Files:

Fabulous50's and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. JWL115C

JWL115C
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Empire in El Paso has a checkered past in regards to providing promised parts.

(o{}o)

15. mk e

mk e

Love it! Thanks for sharing those pics!

I've bee trying to figure out how to do something like that by bolting in aluminum or maybe with just plain old solder......something like that. But first up will be testing it on the flow bench to see what really helps and what doesn't much matter.....but it will be summer at best before I can get back to this project I fear :(

16. mk e

mk e

Yeah, a few chimed in with that feedback and was the reason I insisted on COD, and to my surprise I actually got heads. And they look good which is something the COD approach couldn't control since I couldn't inspect them before taking delivery.

17. steadiman

steadiman

Keep them coming! Looks great!

18. Ahotrod.nz

Ahotrod.nz

FrozenMerc, do you have anymore info on this engine ?

Good thread mk e,I've just found it and am very interested as I have been working on a '39 V12 Linclon motor for some time now on and off,thats going into a 2dr Model A.

19. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

It was built by Rod Hadfield of Castlemaine Rod Shop over on your side of the globe some 10 years ago or so. 6V-71 on top of the Lincoln V12. This article has some more info on the car and motor.

http://www.rodshop.com.au/projects/ProjectT.pdf

20. Ahotrod.nz

Ahotrod.nz

Thanks FrozenMerc.....I should of recognised it as Rods. He took it all around the world, from Austrailia and back again.:)

21. @mk e anything new on this?

22. mk e

mk e

23. Wow. I for one am speechless. The sheer amount of talented determination in this read .... makes me excited to see you eventually coming back to this assuredly simple Lincoln V12 build. The amount of engineers and incredible people on this board is unprecedented. Thank you for posting here.

I'm lost on page 6 of a better, more direct link to your adventure, and intend to finish my awed wonderment.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/f.../frankenferrari-v12-ferrari-308/148959/page1/

Edit : Just finished the 16 pages. I'm smoked. You blew me away. Aircraft gig, of sorts ... in the military, rocket engineer ?? That's my guess. You are quite possibly the most fundamentally blessed fabricating, automotive whiz, I've ever seen, and I don't say that lightly. The Hamb'r's offended with that statement, need to read the above link posted. Every page. F#ckin' incredible.

I hope when you come back here, you finish the V12 Lincoln in the same breath as its era, as you are finishing the above project, in it's own.

Take a big break first. Do some homework. Take a vacation. Get your HAMB hat centered. If you choose to.

I imagine a time machine, that takes us back to the best fabrication possible, from the Miller race car days, of Offenhauser fours, Indianapolis 500 racers, Ab Jenkins ... Duesenberg powered, Mormon Meteor, and Thunder Alley's best, from Culver City's Ted Halibrand and beyond. Keep it in its era, cutting edge, deservedly so.

( No paddle shifter, '33 roadster please. )

Hide a 5 speed in a '39 Lasalle styled box. Bust out your improvement endeavors with a Columbia two speed rear. Give us a stroked, rpm'd V12 that you drive cross country, and run Bonneville with. Dated fasteners, real deal era specific speed parts, fabricated welding lines dressed, as era factory finished. Make Jay Leno, and others appreciative of the time frame proud. Easy sh#t compared to what I just read.

Blown away.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    AmishMike, Chucky, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  24. mk e

mk e

Thanks for the kind words and glad you enjoyed seeing it.

and yes, I hope to do something nice with this engine as well...eventually....

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    James D and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. could fit nicely in my 36 PU...........hummmmmmm, and yes you are a talented man

26. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Seriously impressive work on that Ferrari engine...With the added bonus of knowing you cheesed-off the Ferrarista`s AND made those parts un-usable to any of them...BRAVO !!!

27. mk e

mk e

I just looked back and see I started this thread in 2012 thinking the frikin ferrari was almost done...but there are probably at least 2 more years left.

I really want to get to this project.....I'm really thinking 33 ford roadster with a rumble seat, irs, and yes a paddle shifter. Simple (ish? )engine build followed by a lot of frame build so its a complete change of pace.....or maybe a boat but I've come to realize there's no water near my house so a boat's not particularly useful.

islerodreaming likes this.
  28. Gerard Tonno

Gerard Tonno

mk e,
    I just found this forum/thread while searching for info on my new vehicle: an all original 1939 Lincoln Zephyr. I just acquired it and will be making the 11 hour trip to go pick it up this weekend. Here's a link to the car: https://thevaultms.com/inventory/1939-lincoln-zephyr-sedan-2/
    I'm thrilled to see that there are still parts available for it, and I do need to give the engine some TLC as it sounds like it has some collapsed lifters. It hasn't run in 14 years, and is probably sludged up, so I may just yank the engine and go through it completely. The car was in a large collection in a climate-controlled environment. It was purchased by the Vault MS at auction subsequent to the passing of the owner.

I'm very interested in learning as much as possible about this V-12 engine specifically as although I've built many engines, I've never dabbled with a Flat Head, other then the old OHV Briggs and Stratton mower engines I learned on as a kid! I just ordered the CarTech book on Flatheads, and hopefully much of the info therein carries over to the V-12. My understanding is that it does. (I'm looking for some finned heads and possibly an aluminum intake, but want to zero in on exactly the direction I will go with it first.

I too would like to attain 300 HP using a blower, and EFI. I have both a 6-71 and an Eaton M90, as well as a couple of Garret TB03 Turbos that are the perfect size as they were each originally spec'd for a 2.2 L. While the blower whine is nice, it may actually be better and more efficient to go the turbo route, which of course would necessitate the fabrication of custom stainless exhaust headers, which I am comfortable with.

Have you made any further progress on the V-12 build?

29. AmishMike

AmishMike

Know the rules but : Kind of interesting history. Check out history of “ Electojector “ first used in 1957, 58 before being sold off.

Chucky likes this.