Register now to get rid of these ads!

V-dubs in the traditional hot rod style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Mar 17, 2004.

1. JamesG

JamesG

Another shot of my old ride.....

Attached Files:

2. james

james

Okay, I'll jump in-- here's a never finished project I had about 5 years ago (note also my body dropped mazda). It was a free bug and I only had about $50 in it and ended up giving it away--

Attached Files:

3. James:Looks like you were ahead of the crowd,
    moving the beam forward before it was fashionable.

4. james

james

Thanks. All I did was use some 2" tubing and then those strap type mounts that sand rails used. Never got the steering hooked up, though. Everyone thought it was weird looking now they're all over the place. Shoulda finished it... [​IMG]

5. Satinblack

Satinblack

Kustom the post is moving right along! Maybe we should have a Hamb Bug Off! Everyone build one to be completed by a certain time and then see what we have?

6. D Picasso

D Picasso

put this in your pipe and smoke it, VW haters...note the arrow.

Attached Files:

7. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

JAMES. looks like it woulda been a sweet little mochine. shoulda kept it.

FOILED. there are TONS of VW articles and even features in the old car mags. most of the people who complain they were never part of the "scene" back in the day are greatly mistaken. just start flippin through some old mags when you get a chance. they were'nt in every issue but i bet you will find quite a few tech articles and even features in the old hot rod type mags. it was not a rare occurance.

8. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

So no one answered my question about whether that front engined (v8) power with a bug on a A chassis was a photochop pic or a real car?

9. DrJ

DrJ

I think the split between the VW crowd and the ""Street Rodder" crowd only goes back about 15-20 years when the VW crowd bacame a predominantly younger "punk" crowd and the street rodder crowd became an ever more sedentary "gold chainer crowd who banned "Those rowdy punks with their VWs and Mini Trucks" from "Street Rod" events.
    Now it seems that gold chainer attitude has been inherited by the few "punks" who made the transition from VWs to"Hotrods"

Being anti-VW is being Gold Chainer!

if the "New Traditional Rodder" was to cast off all the grumpy ld fart's ways they would be accepting VWs and even Mini Trucks with open cruise/show gates. Otherwise they (YOU) are being, and having the same attitudes in the same way about VWs as the dreaded "Street Rodders" have for the past two decades.

Did you know that except for the rear seat shoulder room width, a VW bug has the same interior space of a GTO?
    I read that in a magazine back in the 60s and just remembered it....

10. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

you know what DR.J? when your right your RIGHT! i've liked the "OLD" cars since birth (or shortly there after) but i've been involved and interested in both VWs and even (gulp) MINITRUCKS. when they are done right ofcourse. there are alot of gaudy things done to both and if a person does'nt lok past those ones they will never see the truely creative and well done ones. a minitruck show is like any hot rod show to me. there are alot of "neat" ones, even more i could walk right past but only a few really "nice" ones. but if you don't look at em all you just might be missing something.

interesting tidbit on the GTO comparo.

11. hatch

hatch
    from house

Cars that excite me are ones that have new ideas done with different raw material (stinkbug)....not stagnant body choices with the same old stuff...sorta what deuce five windows with flatheads have become....is anybody else getting tired of seeing "perfect period correct" 32's??

12. james

james

This kinda blurs the lines a bit... I kinda like it.

Attached Files:

13. metalshapes

metalshapes

Blurs the lines how??
    Probably just another helium voiced car builder that did not make his deadline.
    Borrowed his uncle's wheels to make it more beleveble...

14. Nope,If you chop the top on an ugly latemodel,it's still an ugly latemodel.
    Doesn't matter how much Lead you use.
    There isn't enough flat black paint in the world to fix that.