Register now to get rid of these ads!

V-dubs in the traditional hot rod style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Mattimus

Mattimus

Here is a pic of Billy's vert. [​IMG]

There are more here. ZZ on da Samba

2. Mojo

Mojo

I've always liked bugs, just back in the rust belt of WV, it was hard to find one. They seem to be a dime a dozen here in CA though! Nice ones too!

I've always wanted to get a Ghia, and stick a GM front drive (citation) unit under the rear. Maybe a 4.3, but probably a 350 V-8. That would be interesting. I've got some pics somewhere of a beetle with a 76 Eldo frame under the rear of it.. pretty stupid looking, a real death rod. On the other hand, what was that company that used to make tube VW chassis that used Eldo transaxles in the rear? They used to advertise in the back of HotRod in the 80's... anyone remember the name of that company? I always wanted one of those chassis...

3. I got on the HAMB late tonight and was going to post about the latest issue of VW trends. If you have not seen it look at it for a good laugh and some really cool cars. I myself still have a 64 notchback and some Empi stuff around. I had a notchback featured in vw trends in the mid 1990's. The vw is where I cut my teeth on how to work on cars and then moved up to hot rods. The shop I work at specializes in vw air and watercooled, but will work on anything. When I get my 32 5 window done I have thought about building my notchback pulling from the hot rod world and build one that looks stock from the outside but has V8 drive train in it, just another project waiting in the wings.

4. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

Might as well post my last one that I had.

Attached Files:

5. Rix2Six

Rix2Six
    from So. Cal.

I've always been hardcore into the VW scene. I was pres of the club that won the most rep club trophy at Bug-In for the last 4 times it was held. I still have the trophy from the last Bug-In a 48IDA cut in half and mounted on a plaque.

I like my VWs old-skool cal-look... always built them that way. Still have 2 VWs in storage incuding the car I drove to the last Bug-In

6. k-member

k-member

Here's a couple of shots of one of my old buggers from 85

Attached Files:

7. k-member

k-member

and notice my old chopped F-1 in the background, also from 85. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

haven't any of you assholes heard of CORVAIR'S?

9. hatch

hatch
    from house

Corvairs???...yup..I've heard of em....what's your point?

10. tinyelvis

tinyelvis

My mom used to have a Corvair..

11. hatch

hatch
    from house

My bug in primer....you couldn't pay me to do this job again....WAY too much work [​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. Barn-core

Barn-core

Oh my God. The roadster pickup on page 5 is mine, or at least it was. i sold it around christmas to a guy in West Virginia. It was originaly red oxide like the one on page 2.

13. Bugman

Bugman

I wasn't gonna jump in, but once I saw the other blown bug, I had to defend my honor. Here's my bug with the same blower setup that that other guy has, topped off by a 650 double pumper, flame throwers ablaze

-Jeff

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

[ QUOTE ]
    haven't any of you assholes heard of CORVAIR'S?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, I remmeber those, your talking about that GM car that Nader didn't like. Oh yeah the one designed by Porsche. I like those. One of the local Corvair guys keeps trying to give me one...

15. DrJ

DrJ

I hate VWs.
    Probably why I've only owned three of them! [​IMG]
    Here's a picture of the first one I owned and painted that new metalic brown they had just come out with on Buick Rivieras in 1967.
    It's a '61 I bought in 67 for the insanely high price of $365 but I just had to have it anyway! (sold the POS 9 months later for $750 and bought a '57 TR-3 for $240)
    The next two (in a row) were a '67 with a 914 Porsche engine I lost to the first Ex, and then a '62 that i sold to buy a '65 Sunbeam Alpine.

16. Molloy

Molloy
    from Asotin,WA

Wow ,all these VW's ,some in the closet, LOL.

Kustombuilder ,I sent you an email . Would you please post my pictures in this thread.

VW vert with Rotary power. Lots of fun...

17. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

he's one of my current cars
    UKAde

18. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

this time i might even attach the pic

Attached Files:

19. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Hey Unk,,, you asked why would anyone put a curved bumnper on a flat back.. I have to ask the same thing because GM did it on there 53/54 wagon (so not fully curved but it sticks out a ways)...

That tan concept drawing has a lot of the same ideas on the blue/white track nose roadster from Seattle and that was on the cover of American Rodder recently...

20. Satinblack

Satinblack

All these VW's are cool, but belong elsewhere. Heres a place you can chat about VW's to your hearts content.
    http://www.vwtrendsweb.com

Ryan can you close this thread

21. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

EAT SHIT NEWBIE!!! if Ryan had a problem with it he would have chimmed in by now. these things are no different than than a fuckin Fiat or Anglia. just cause YOU don't like them does'nt mean they are off topic and if it bothers you that bad then don't fuckin read it. it's certainly more on topic than any motor cycle or Rockabilly band post. if you don't like it, don't read it. seems to me you just want to be an asshole. well you've met your match bitch!

if your gonna continue to be a pain in the ass i'm gonna have to ask you to GET THE FUCK OFF MY HAMB NEWBIE!!!

i PMed this exact message to you in case you don't see it here!

now, lets see if i can resize those rotary motored Bug pics and get em up here.....

22. JamesG

JamesG

[ QUOTE ]
    EAT SHIT NEWBIE!!! if Ryan had a problem with it he would have chimmed in by now. these things are no different than than a fuckin Fiat or Anglia. just cause YOU don't like them does'nt mean they are off topic and if it bothers you that bad then don't fuckin read it. it's certainly more on topic than any motor cycle or Rockabilly band post. if you don't like it, don't read it. seems to me you just want to be an asshole. well you've met your match bitch!

if your gonna continue to be a pain in the ass i'm gonna have to ask you to GET THE FUCK OFF MY HAMB NEWBIE!!!

i PMed this exact message to you in case you don't see it here!

now, lets see if i can resize those rotary motored Bug pics and get em up here.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put Kustombuilder. [​IMG]

23. Satinblack

Satinblack

Wow, I Pm'd you too, but I didnt have to go to the extreme you did. I simply stated that I have had VW's, I like VW's and it was just my opinion that there were other websites that are suited for VW discussions. It humors me that people get so bent out of shape over certain things, but Like I said we all have an opinion. And if you think I'm picking on you, I am not. I don't remember ever responding to one of your posts. Relax. Satin [​IMG]

24. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Why don't you just go read something you like? It's really quite easy.

25. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

You're right, we should read something we like...

It's just when stuff you don't like keeps coming to the top for what seems like an eternity, you start to feel "strongly" about killing it. [​IMG]

26. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

No thanks, I'm content to sit right here and talk about it.

The Stinkbug rules. I like the socalook bug too. I might build something similar next....and I think I'll document the build here. I think I'll PM and email the links to both of you through the whole process. Deal with it.

27. hatch

hatch
    from house

Satin....judging by the HUGE response to this topic...you are in the minority...this board gets plenty of self-regulation....but...go ahead and "tell the teacher" if you find it necessary to micro manage...just be prepared to live with the shit you stir.

28. well, hold on.... I have been trying all week to understand why anyone would think a fenderless bug is cool, and the truth is I just think hotrod VW's are a total waste of time.

Hell, I just bought a brand new one for my wife but that's all it is.... a girl's car.

I dont feel strong enough to get into a fight about it, but I bet more people here think they're dumb than cool.

I could be wrong though. And I am not talking about that cool little Ghia, I mean the roadster pickups and fenderless flame jobs.... come on, dune buggies with whitewalls?

29. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

[ QUOTE ]
    No thanks, I'm content to sit right here and talk about it.

The Stinkbug rules. I like the socalook bug too. I might build something similar next....and I think I'll document the build here. I think I'll PM and email the links to both of you through the whole process. Deal with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coolerific there Grim... [​IMG]

Just finish the bloomin' modified first! I'd like to see how that turns out.

Let's keep this post right up top for all the buggers!

(60's bugs made to look like 40's Hot Rods are still gay...) [​IMG]