Register now to get rid of these ads!

V Dub done the right way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod60F100, Jun 6, 2005.

1. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Yeah I'm aware the intense hatred for V dubs on here :D but this one was done right :cool: [​IMG]

2. All cars are cool.

3. oh yeah, but where's the v-dub?

4. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

i have always liked karmann ghia's . my first car was one i totaled it 3 times . the last time i fixed it it got a chopped roof frenched marker lights , tail lights and license plate.

5. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Its the Karman Ghia body thats a Vw,and is the only thing VW period on the car,the rest is all American enginuity :cool:

6. yeah, except the body was made by karman with vw trim and all the trim is gone. so i still say where's the vw?:D

7. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

looks like a vw front axle beam

8. What he asked;) Some get it.

9. metalshapes

metalshapes
    Tech Editor

10. PrimeEvil'36

PrimeEvil'36

what about this one,it's actually got some really well done '59 cad. tailights too...

[​IMG]

11. metalshapes

metalshapes
    Tech Editor

For me personally, no....

But I would own something like that Drag Car.

12. Cabbie

Cabbie
    from Lodi, CA

I like it! I wonder how many people other than me got a start with custom cars by having or working on a vw?

13. PrimeEvil'36

PrimeEvil'36

i didn't start with a vw,but i restored a conv.beetle my mother had for like 10 years as a retirement gift......

i was real young,and not very skilled at the time,so kinda,haha..

14. airkooled

airkooled
    from Royal Oak

This is off topic for the post, but I didn't think I should start a new VW-related thread. I drive a 72 Super Beetle. Yesterday the front driver wheel fell off while driving about 20 mph. I wrangled the car onto a side street. A bunch of high school kids playing basketball came over to help me. They found 2 lug bolts on the street, and 2 in the hubcap. The wheel must have rolled 200 feet before they caught it. I was getting my baby daughter out of the back seat, so the kdis brought the wheel and lugs over to me. Like an idiot, I didn't have a jack. So one of the kids pulls a bottle jack from his car. Me and another kid had to lift the car by hand to get it high enough to fit the jack. Jack didn't raise the car high enough, so another kid produces a floor jack from his car! A cop showed up to see if all was okay. Asked if I wanted a report so I could claim it on insurance. I declined. It's not like I'm taking it to some shop to pay somebody else to fix it. Drove it home a couple three miles. No problems. Took my "reliable" car to the liquor store to buy 2 styrofoam coolers, and a bunch of Powerade, water, and ice. I told the guy there what happened, and he cut me a deal on the price. Liquor store employees helped me load the stuff in my car since I was carrying my baby girl. Went back to the basketball court and delivered the beverages. I talked to the kids for a while, cool as hell. I was blown away.

The fender ripped like 4 of its mount bolts out of the surrounding steel, and one out of the rusty as hell running board. The lug bolts had a few rough threads. The wheel, tire, and hubcap look perfect, aside from a slight gouge in the wheel weight. The lower control/bottom part of the spindle dragged on the road for a bit there. I need to inspect that stuff and see how bad it is.

Pretty cool adventure. My little girl slept through most of it. Once I get the car back on the street, it's going to be a long while before I feel confident to put her in it again. By the way, and I guess the most important part of the story - I converted the front from drums to discs a few weeks ago. They work awesome. I torqued the lugs to spec. I'm pretty religious about that. But they always tell you to retorque your lugs after some driving. I didn't do it. I have done it on my daily driver, and they had never loosened. But, I highly recommend you guys check your lugs. God forbid you lose a wheel at high speed.

Oh, and that dragster is cool. Back on topic.

15. james

james

Damn, that happened to my wife in our old 412. Back wheel. Her brother had just changed a flat for her. It came off at 60 mph, but she said the drum didn't touch the ground until she stopped, it just felt like the back was floating. Pretty lucky and the last time her brother got near our cars.

16. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Why not just stuff a Hemi in one and drive it on the street?

[​IMG]

17. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Or just customize one like this.......

[​IMG]

Or this.......

[​IMG]

18. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Or go all out to have something really different..... like this.....

[​IMG]

19. airkooled

airkooled
    from Royal Oak

My wheel wouldn't have rolled so far if I had all that extra shrouding. It's like a little mini Airstream.

20. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Right here. My buddies old 64 Baja, then his 63 street car.

Had both of those apart more times than I could count.

21. I for one think this looks pretty darn good

22. Bugman

Bugman

I'm not feeling the skirts, and it needs a chop...

23. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Now if you want the perfect Karmann Ghia, just add a Bullet Nose from a Studebaker....... like this

[​IMG]

[​IMG]