Register now to get rid of these ads!

V-8 Flathead/Model-A question;

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pist-n-Broke, Nov 6, 2011.

1. So I'm moving along on my A-V8. Thought I had what I needed but proved myself wrong again. I will not run an electric Fan so just don't go there. I know this has been done countless times, just not by me. My motor came out of a 40 Ford truck so the fan was mounted on the crank pulley. That won't work plus I no longer have that Fan unit. I believe a dual belt lower pulley is what I need. To go along with that my Crank stub seems to be smaller than it should be. The motor is pre 49 24 stud but the crank is 1.185 not 1.310 like some others that seem standard. It also has a football style dist not a Crab style. I have an offset Gen mount and a few other pieces but not a unit that works together to mount the Fan somewhere around Camshaft level. Does anyone really know exactly what I need to go find to get this done? Nothing is mounted to the frame yet so moving the motor back a little more is no problem.
    I hate it when this happens.
    The Wizzard

2. jan bogert

jan bogert

ya, i'll tell you about the book i got the book it told me to install my motor mounts from center of radiator bolt hole to the center of motor mount hole 3 1/2 " i'm glad i didn't weld them there, because of the helmut dist. i would of never got my rad. back in. i had to go to 5 1/2 "and i have room at the firewall, and my rad. fits perfect, and also my hood. JAN.. i have a '42 flatie, and the same dist.,as you i can't use my gen. fan because it either hits the dist. or the filler of my alum. rad. so i have a electric fan on order i'll get it on tues. if you buy one speedway gets 199.00 but macs rad. gets 119.00 but i'm running 6 volt system. JAN.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I posted a lot of flathead front accessory dimensions on here a few years back...not all combinations, but some basics.

4. Bruce; Thanks for the help. As of today I think I have some more of the correct parts needed. I decided to go to the short Crab style Dist. I have all those pieces. I also have a right side head mount for the Gen. and a Gen that fits and aligns with the pumps and lower pulley. I also had a friend give me a double belt lower pulley that has correct spacing to fit the fan drive I have but the I.D. of that pulley is larger than my Crankshaft stub. My crank is 1.185 not the common 1.310 and only sticks out 1/2" past the timing cover. What's up with that? So after another day of digging I'm only closer but no Cigar,,,,,,yet. Who has the lower pulley I need or what does it come off of?
    The Wizzard

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The crab cuts off some length and gives you more space to move fan down and in.
    Only early crank double pulleys are not what you want here...will have to research this, your engine is likely a 1938 with 1936-38 type crank.

6. What are the odds of finding a double belt pulley for this crank?

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There isn't one except truck double pulley, whose spacing is wrong for picking up separate fan drive...will do some research in the iron library and see what can be invented.

8. chopper cliff

chopper cliff
    from lodi ca

My 41 engine had the old "football" style dist, it is 3 bolt mount, you need the 2 bolt mount from the 46-48, by mount I mean the timing cover, I used the crank fan and reworked it to fit a 49-53 fan mount and shaft and mounted it where the gen goes and put a side bracket on for the gen, it works well in my 28 coupe, single belt.

9. I'm changing to the Crab style dist. and have everything it takes to do that. I also have a head mount for the Gen. I sure would like to see a photo of your Fan unit. Also my Roadster is Channeled so that brings new numbers in the picture as far as getting the fan low enough.
    The Wizzard

10. Up date; According to H&H I have a 37-38 motor. To the best of there knowledge there was never a double belt lower pulley for that motor. There advise was to change the Crank and Rods. I don't think I'll do that. Thanks for all your help
    The Wizzard

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If motor is 24 stud with short crank, it is 1938 only; if 21 stud, '37-8. Both use the 68 crank introduced in 1936.
    There were indeed double pulleys, but much more closely spaced sheaves than the '42-48 ones, designed to drive double sheave pumps and generator used on heavy trucks.
    I would suggest studying a '42-48 fan setup AND an Edelbrock type bracket designed to support just the shaft and fan from '42-48 in relation to your offset gen and front accessories. How much could you shorten one of these? Could you drive from a double pulley gen over to fan?