Register now to get rid of these ads!

Uti????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63FalconFutura, Mar 10, 2010.

1. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

I was thinking about going to uti after i finished my highschool education and wanted to get a little information on it has anyone on here attended it? and what are your opinions on this school or others like it such as wyotech.

2. Plenty of stuff about this on here.....I went to WyoTech. Had a blast. Learned a lot. Take it from me. Don't go. There is nothing they can teach you that will make you forget about student loans or how bad finding a job afterwards REALLY is.

I'm glad I went, but I could've learned the same stuff by trial and error and putting part-time in at a body shop...or the HAMB tech archive on page 1. Though I didn't take the chassis class...didn't want to borrow any more $$.

If you have any other questions, shoot me a PM.

Brian

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Errrr, where I work a UTI is a; Urinary Tract Infection.

4. JAWS

JAWS

5. On the other hand, I hear that MacPherson(?) restoration college is pretty good. I just don't know about gainful employment in this economic climate.

6. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

7. 61falcon

61falcon

i am a big supporter of higher education. just be sure the car business is what you really want to be in. wether its in a body shop, hot rods or new car dealer. i went through Fords ASSET training program, achieved senior master tech and have been in a dealer for 20 years. i enjoy the work but its a tough (stressful) way to make a living. sometimes i wish i had a degree in something that allowed me to not have to bust my knuckles and smash my fingers on a regualr basis. and the sore back. you'll understand that when you get older.

8. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

i would love to get a job in the field and any and all information u can contribute is welcomed

9. Anderhart Speed

Anderhart Speed

well, I'm 24 and graduated from the University of Northwestern Ohio about 2 years ago. We talk about this a lot. I recomend this school very highly. I learned soo much stuff that I wish I could use it in the hot rod industry. Just like any other school though, you get what you put in. And also, its the only automotive based schooling that is nationally accredited, meaning that when you graduate you get an actual degree, and many of my classmates went on to mechanical engineering degrees, then into chassis companies and R&D firms for performance organizations and manufacturers. We had the best equipment, the best teachers, and the high performance program alone is over a year long. But like 61falcon said, make sure this is definatly what you want to do. I'm almost always burned, cut, lacerated, etc... at work, and my muscles get very sore sometimes depending on what it is I'm doing. I absolutely love my job, I love using engineering and design to create a unique one-off custom car that is somebody's dream. Some people are built for it, some people just think they are-you have to figure out which one you are. Check out UNOH though, the website is www.unoh.edu. Look at the high performance technology degree program.

10. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

thanks a ton man

11. wrenchrocket

wrenchrocket

If you want to go work at a dealer on current models UTI can give you a base of knowledge for that purpose. Don't go to UTI to learn about hot rods. All higher education is good. Number one deal is you get out of it what you put into it. Good Luck.

12. 61TBird

61TBird

No pics. Please...:eek:

Where are the pics of "the" Nurse??
    Do I have to send you my camera...:D
    Use that ol' DW magic and tell her it's for a Magazine in the US!

13. 51 mercules

51 mercules

How about a community college.You can learn a lot at afraction of the cost.

14. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

I went to UTI and alot of my friends from this area went during the same time. Out of about ten friends nine are doing very well. After graduating instead of selling myself to employers they had to sell me on their company. I learned most on the job but it gave me lots of fundamentals and a foot in the door. Craig

Attached Files:

15. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

sick truck :) any other info skippy

16. erock805

erock805

I have worked for Wyotech, AAI and Spartan. All schools will only give you what you put into it. Uti is a good school, as is the others listed. Some people can but learn trial and error...it will take you longer and you wont have a degree if you want to move in other directions. It wont be a waste if you focus and learn and really have a passion for working with your hands and mind.

Have you looked into aviation mechanics? A whole nother level of tech.

17. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

i have not looked into aviation mechanics i have discovered my love for welding and fabrication as well as classic hot rods i thought i could make a decent living with my passion, i am reading mixed things about wyotech and uti. I have also heard that i would be better off taking classes at a local college at a fraction of the cost

18. I would learn Industrial design and machine tool tech before going to a "boutique" hotrod school.

FWIW, I worked in a shop and collected all those Wyotech resumes. Have many years of higher education under my belt. If I could start today (and won't because I love my job), thats what I would do.

19. Vintage Vandal

Vintage Vandal

Well the way I look at is this...

Pay thousands of dollars to a school to try to teach you the trade, or get a job at an auto shop changing oil and doin brake jobs and move up from there. Either Pay for the trade experience or GET paid for the experience. Just how I see it.

20. 562roadster

562roadster

Cerritos College has a kick ass automotive program. Only a fraction of the price also.

21. Fuel to burn

Fuel to burn

WHAT HE SAID!!! especially the part about a fraction of the cost.

22. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

Well I went to UTI and graduated with LOTS of honers (not bragging just trying to let you know I'm not a slacker) and I can honestly tell you that if you want to work on hotrods and customs UTI is NOT the school for you. While I don't regret going to UTI if you are trying to get into the custom fabrication side of the automotive business you are pretty much going to waste your time with UTI. You need to find a school that has a more specific program geared towards hotrods. UTI is more about giving you a basic knowledge of automotive repair and is geared towards working in a dealership. Good luck with whatever you decide and if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM! Later, Roger

23. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

thanks for your input guys