Register now to get rid of these ads!

USPS Flat Rate Box = Heaviest Box Shipping Challenge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ramblin Randy, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ramblin Randy

Ramblin Randy

Ok campers.... What's the most weight you've ever put into a USPS flat rate box and shipped out ???

Tomorrow I'm shipping out a HUGE 55amp Delco Generator that looks like it came off of a semi truck, and as I was packing that beast up I'm thinking to myself this has got to be the heaviest thing I've ever crammed into a cardboard box for it's size, and began wondering if any one else out there was having as much fun too selling and shipping as I was having today.... Sound off.

Rules: USPS website says the limit is 70lbs. My little lady at the small town post office says the box can be just a wee bit "pudgy" once taped up. ( clarification of pudgy was not to be found at usps.com and may vary from zipcode to zipcode ).

Contest Duration: One year from this date.

Prize: A small flat rate box chucked full of used ( but still good ) lead tire weights I picked up at an auction last month on the cheep. Maybe I'll melt them halfway down into a trophy of sorts....

Happy Motoring,
    Ramblin Randy

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I might be shipping a pair of Jag XKE manifolds out the next couple of days - heavy, but I don't think I'll be a contender!

3. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Im not joking.. a 69.5 lb piece my dad machined for a loader... I have the receipt somewhere.. pretty much solid entire box full of a block of steel.

4. Ramblin Randy

Ramblin Randy

Wanted to ship this out today but my one person country post office is staffed by a little lady who would end up in the hospital if she tried to lift this thing, will take it to a regional post office and let them have all the fun.

My Advice from Experience: I've shipped heavy items before and those automated machines don't care much for "heavy things" and tend to shred the boxes on occasion. Make sure you put a name / phone on the actual part as anything can and will happen in transit. For the bottom I cut out some masonite for added support ( this is a must prep ) and also slid in 2 more small pieces on the sides. For the finalie.... I taped the living daylights out of the box, x patterns, triple coverage, overlaps, and made for sure to do 360's 3 times around the outside of the box. Translated: these boxes are not made to hold 70lbs in my opinion.

Back me up if you agree; but when these free boxes first came out the quality of the cardboard was much better / stronger. I'll update this with my actual weight tomorrow. Oh... this part is a 58-61ish Chevy alternator for police and taxis.

[​IMG]

- Ramblin Randy

5. Ramblin Randy

Ramblin Randy

I didn't mention it in the "Rules" but I'm going to need to see that receipt please. Amazing that we might have our winner/serious contender in less than 15 minutes of competition. Maybe I better get busy on that trophy...

-Ramblin Randy

6. How does this relate to traditional rods exactly? :rolleyes:

7. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

I worked for a company that would stuf them full of silver and ship it.. right up to the 70 lbs. max

8. Ramblin Randy

Ramblin Randy

Please consider this an EDUCATIONAL thread. As a part time vendor, these "internets" have surely changed the swap meet business and now "shipping parts" is now big business.

From experience, next time I order a VERY heavy part online and/or make a swap here on the HAMB better bet I make sure the shipper knows the ropes and precautions to consider. Heck I shipped a 54lb part/box via Fedex in January and they lost it.... turns out the box/label was shredded and now get this it somehow shows up back on my porch 5 months later in June and the parts inside busted and worthless. I should have taped a name directly on the part.... you know just in case.

9. I got a set of Champ sized quick change gears today in a video tape sized box. Heavy.

10. hemi

hemi

Eat a booger.

11. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

This is stupid.

12. ok people move along ......:rolleyes:

13. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

While, I basically agree that this has not a lot to do with "traditional rods", is it so out of character for members of this group to have a little fun from time to time? The USPS has opened the doors and enabled some of us, at least, to ship things without breaking the bank. How can that not be in the spirit of "traditional" as we all try to save money wherever we can?

14. Weasel

Weasel

Enriched plutonium is damn heavy....:rolleyes:

15. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

So let's ruin the opportunity by abusing the privledge. If everyone loads the boxes up to 70 lbs. every poor old lady the works at the post office will be on workers compensation. :D

16. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I ONLY use UPS......

[​IMG]

17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

My UPS driver dam sure don't look like that! Neither does my postmaster.

18. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Regarding the UPS picture, I like the label on the 2-wheeled cart. Utility Dolly.
    And the cart is full of U-Haul boxes.......

19. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I think she's a tad over 70lbs....butt not by much ;).

20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sheesh, and my threads about the perils of operating a business that builds traditional rods and customs, in a down economy, get deleted almost immediately.

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.