Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Using original radiators

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joliet Jake, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

I have a very nice original 32 Ford radiator that I will be using for my 31 Roadster project, cooling a stock 1956 354 Hemi and I've hit a snag. First off, it needs cut down 2" and re cored, no problem so I took it to the top radiator shop around that is well known for his classic and hot rod work. Here's the snag, I had planned to use a repo stock style shell complete with radiator cap, I want the look of the
    "original style" build if you get my drift. The shop owner tells me that you can't use the old cap due to it not being vented and that I would need to add a new vented filler behind the tank and "dummy" the original. What have you guys done in this situation? What are my options if any?

2. The original tank is not designed to be pressurized. You will be better off using a new radiator which will withstand using a pressure cap.

3. alchemy

alchemy

My 32 has a new Walker radiator with a filler under the hood. I took the bottom off the original cap, made a large round washer, and a screw now holds the cap permanently in place to the grille shell. Nobody can tell from the outside.

Your guy could solder a flat plate down inside the original neck to seal it and install a new neck under the hood like mine. Then you can screw the original cap on just like Henry did.

AVater likes this.
  4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Doesn't matter if it was in the 50's or today, some things had to be compromised in order to do a build. Don't get too hung up, and end up stalled on your build trying to do something that may not have ever been done. Or if it was, may not have worked well in the day.

5. I was told the old radiators wont hold up under todays pressurized caps , tried anyway core started leaking .

6. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I ran a 7 lb cap on a recored Model A radiator for a number of years with no problem. Had a dummy one for a stock cap and a offset one under the hood for the 7 lb cap.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about using Evans waterless coolant. It works at 3-5 PSI, which might fit your needs. It is a bit expensive, but lasts forever, so there’s that.

I haven’t used it, but I’m intrigued by it. Jay Leno likes it - I saw it on the TV.

https://www.evanscoolant.com/how-it-works/why-evans/

8. You might sell that original V 8 radiator for a good down payment on a radiator that will work better for you

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

A 7 pound cap will work perfectly on a good pre-40 tank.
    Install a regulator on your overflow tube. A 2 pound brake regulator works just fine for this.