Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Using Modern (OEM) Chrysler AC pump ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rustytoolss, Oct 4, 2019.

1. Rustytoolss

Rustytoolss

Has anyone used a modern AC pump when doing an AC system ? The factory did a lot of work to make their AC pumps fit nice and with serpenten b elts. How hard is it to use a 90's (1995 dodge 5.2 AC pump that came with engine) when building an AC system for a street rod ?
    I don't mind buying the Vintage Air AC/heat under dash unit...but would like to keep my factory AC and brackets.

2. squirrel

squirrel

They mostly all work the same way, so if you can figure out how to plumb it, you should be OK using it. They generally used a hose assembly with a fancy block connector on the compressor, and two metal hoses that continue out to rubber hoses, that are crimped on. I'd start by getting the hose assembly from a junkyard, and see what sizes the hoses are, and if they will go the direction they need to go in your old car.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I have seen hose adaptors fittings for this very purpose. I cannot recall exactly where I saw them, but an internet search, or specific website search (vintage air, old air, etc.), should turn them up.

Ray

4. One good thing about Chrysler A/C pumps.
    When they are right,,,they will freeze your sack off.
    My glasses used to fog over when getting out in the hot summer.

Tommy

5. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

Are using the new compressor like they used in 90's . If so you should have any problem as many places can make A/C lines.

6. A Boner

A Boner

When is the next generation of freon coming? I think I heard somehing about it being right around the corner. Don't know about the compatibility, though.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes they will, IF the rest of the components are in good condition, and the system was evacuated and then charged properly. A good pump is only a small part of the whole system.

Hnstray likes this.