Register now to get rid of these ads!

Using Fillet Fracture to dial your welder in

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carl E. Hagan Jr., Feb 24, 2009.

1. There's been a few posts in the past questioning what their welding machine can do. Well.....Perform a Fillet Fracture destructive testing method on the exact same material as your weldment.

To keep it short. Here I'm using normal frame material, 1-1/2 x 3. Stand the tube on the other tube and weld a fillet weld on 1 side of the tubing only. Let that cool. Stand on the tube with one foot & push the tube over the fillet weld with your other foot.

Passing weld - the steel will tear.
    Failing weld - Looks good, but doesn't tear.

This is why you dial your machine with scrap before welding the weldment.

View the pics in order and both of these are performed with my Miller 110 machine.....'cause if I did it with the 220; you know you'd all come back and say "Do it with the 110"

Carl Hagan

Attached Files:

2. Excellent description!

3. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

thank you!!! its about time someone explained, in simple terms, that a 110 welder can do more then most think. Now maybe all the "experts" will think twice before automatically saying "do that with a 220V"

4. I guess I could've elaborated more on the pics.
    Left one is passing & the right one looks like the nice weld with the blue heat ring, but low and behold.....The tubing merely bent, unlike the passing one where the tubing wall clearly tore away.

Cool and thanks for the prop's guys, Carl Hagan

5. No, a 110 welder in CAPABLE HANDS can weld well. Most that ask the question here do not have the experience to pull it off consistantly.

6. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Thank you for the info. Just got a new welder today. Sold the last one about a year ago and missed it ever since.

7. Throttlehead250

Throttlehead250
    from Houston TX

ive seen some amazing things come off a hobart 110! but ill stick to 220 lol.

8. RichG

RichG

Thanks for the tech, I didn't know how to do this, it'll definitely add to my confidence with welding!

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

so remember, if you can't weld good , weld a lot.

10. brentthebarber

brentthebarber
    from San Diego

haha, ain't that the truth!

11. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Thanks Carl! Folks can show off pics of pretty welds all day long, and it's really not helping anyone learn anything. An example like this helps clear up a lot of the welding questions on here.

12. Friggining EXCELLENT!

nice visual depiction.

if you can SEE the difference in the two beads, you're MILES ahead!

13. Thanks for the props guys, bttt for the morning guys. Carl Hagan

14. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

PERFECT! Thanks for the pictures and write up! That is a very easy way to "double check" your welding process. Much easier then what I was trying to figure out what to do!