Register now to get rid of these ads!

using blocks on the rear of a 64 c10?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskool55, Jul 24, 2005.

1. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

can you use lowering blocks to lower the rear of a c10 with the coil spring trailing arm suspension?

2. brandon

brandon

my 65 has 3" blocks ...and 77 monte carlo springs.....i made a new panhard bar to keep it square....not slammed ....but its a definently driveable.....thanks brandon forgot to mention .....the blocks are special to that truck .....not like a leaf spring setup .....

Attached Files:

3. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

so regular blocks wont work?.... guess im clamping the springs:rolleyes:

4. 50chevy

50chevy
    BANNED

Not with the coil spring setup.

You can also purchase aftermarket springs that are shorter.

5. brandon

brandon

forgot ...some were leaf spring......and not trailing arms .....i would think that normal blocks would do........oops.....haha brandon

6. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

this one is trailing arm so regular block will or wont work?

7. 2manybillz

2manybillz

If ya put blocks on you'll just move the arms away from the rear - to lower it you have to do something with the springs - either cut them or replace them with shorter ones.

Bill

8. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

http://www.classicperform.com/goingdown6772.htm
    Here is a picture and an article on the process.

9. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

....that makes no sence

10. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

11. dixiedog

dixiedog

For the trailing arm syle. You can make your own blocks out of square tube steel, they just have to be cut on a slight angle (to match the trailing arm) and get longer U-bolts. I thought about doing it for my 61 Apache10.

You can't cut these springs as they are tapered at the top & bottom. I priced out about a year ago drop springs for mine and they were around $120.

12. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I've built a bunch of them in the past for these coil spring trucks.

Here's a set I built for my neighbor's truck. They are 2x3 thick wall tubing that I boxed the ends of. A local spring shop builds me the u-bolts for 30 a pair. You need them 2 inches longer than stock.

Beware though, these are 2 inch blocks and those are 17 inch wheels. Imagine what the scrub line would be like with taller blocks or smaller wheels. The 15 inch wheels that Brandon the poster above has coupled with his 3 inch blocks would hang way lower.

Attached Files:

13. kustomd

kustomd

You can cut the coils on those trucks. I've done several but the spring won't have the small coil at the bottom. I usually take the springs out of the back and cut two loops off the bottom of the spring then bolt the top back up and bolt the cup on the bottom to the trailing arm like its suppose to be. Then let the truck back down. My last 3 64-66 chevy trucks have been done this way and they still ride alwright for me. sometimes you still have to make a new panard bar but other than that its pretty straight forward.