Register now to get rid of these ads!

Using a stock Model A coupe frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tumbler, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Tumbler

Tumbler
    from Tucson, AZ

I tried searching the forum but couldn't seem to find anything about modifying a stock model a coupe frame for upgraded drive train, suspension, ect. Does anyone do this? Know of any articles? I'm trying to plan out my future model a coupe build and don't trust my fab skills to start from scratch.

2. i'm doing another original Model A ford frame right now.... so far i have welded in front and rear crossmembers , removed the center crossmember , built a new center crossmember/tranny mount , boxed the frame , motor mounts for a SBC , mount for vega steering box , and brake pedal/master cylinder mount. parts are all copies of Pete & Jakes . front and rear suspension are still left to do.....that will be copies of Pete & Jakes hairpins in front and angled in ladder bars in the rear with an 8" ford maverick rear

hopefully this will go under a full fendered `28 phonebooth cab pickup someday

one of the most important things is getting the frame straight , true and level before boxing. measure across the corners to make sure it isn't racked. check for any cracks and weld . fill all the extra unused holes . weld in threaded bungs for body mounting and running board holes. then you can box it...weld in small amounts and move around so you don't warp it. make sure you have good welding skills , or get someone who has to do it

i've built enough A's so i know what needs to be done and where it should be , plus i have a chassis i did that i can refer to.....i suggest you get a Pete & Jakes catalog and study how they do theirs . a good , safe and reliable chassis can be built from an original frame if you have the right skills/tools/materials

3. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

I have only built a couple of "A" frames and one 32 Ford frame, but like 36-3window said, "If you have the right skills/tools/materials you can build a decent frame.

I have enlcosed a link showing some of my build and if you PM me I can send you more pictures.

I started with a nice frame, made my own frame jig (that I later sold to a NorCal Model A club) and used Dagel's Street Rods X member/boxing plates/brake setup........................
    www.dagelsstreetrods.com
    I spent about 40 hours hand carving the oval cutouts in the boxing plates to match the Dagel's X member..................hindsight being 20/20...........it would have been nice to have the ovals punched and curved in like the holes on my Coupe Visor.
    I welded the front crossmember (after the frame was boxed) Z'd the rear 3". I am running a flathead with C4 trans and quick change rearend. The only thing I wish I would have done is put a 40 Ford spring behind the axle. I used the rear buggy spring and ladder bars, up front I have a 4" dropped axle and short hair pins.

Take you time and if you don't have the skills there are some pretty good HAMB guys that build frames or would probably rework yours.

Here is the link there are 4 pages;

http://groups.msn.com/FordFlathead1932to1953/cobraschopped31av85window.msnw?Page=1

Attached Files:

4. Tumbler

Tumbler
    from Tucson, AZ

Thanks for the info so far. All the pictures were great. Buying an already done frame might be the best bet for me. Budget is kind of an issue though, so if I could learn to do it right, I would rather do that.

5. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

When I built this frame some 3+ years ago I hadn't picked up a welder in almost 20 years. My
    wife bought me a Miller MIG unit for Christmas. I honed my welding skills building the frame jig
    then started cutting and welding. I actually took the frame and had it acid dipped before I started.
    When I was finished I had a friend (Dale @ Weedtr Street Rods) go over the frame with his trained eye to make sure everything was OK.
    Go ahead and do it yourself, just make sure you get the frame square and use a good welder.........and take your time.

Attached Files: