Register now to get rid of these ads!

Using a stock column with a 700r4?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by historynw, May 9, 2010.

1. historynw

historynw

Is there a way or a manufacturer that makes a linkage that will work with the old GM column. The guy who sold me the rebuilt stock column said there was a way to make it work but wasn't specific.

I guess OD, Drive, Two, would be okay but having low would be helpful.

Thanks.

2. walker

walker

I suppose it depends on the column, but the detents are in the transmission not the column, excepting the reverse lockout tag thingy. So if you hooked up the shift linkage (and you may need to lengthen the throw on it), you should feel the clicks for each gear.

3. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I have used both types od columns with both 3 and 4 speeds, they have always worked fine for me except that the pointers dont always point just right. PRN&D are pretty much in the right spot, close enough to work anyway, and I have seen aftermarket indicators available to "retrofit" columns. I think I saw them on Summit day before yesterday.

4. F&J

F&J

Yes on all that.

I've done a few and it's best to change the throw so you get enough movement to have all the gears and have the pointer stay in the shift indicator window.

I also buffed off the old letters on the dial and used dry transfer letters back then, but i think someone said there are new windows made for O/D trans.

5. historynw

historynw

Thanks I will check it out, I think I saw the retrofit but wasn't sure about the column. I think there isn't a part on this car over the past 4yrs that hasn't been taken apart at least once. I do the technical work finding stuff and then I get my neighbor to help.