Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Uses for old Brake Fluid

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shop teacher, Nov 23, 2016.

1. shop teacher

shop teacher

I picked up a gallon of at least 20 year old NOS brake fluid and am concerned about using it in any vehicle. Anybody know alternative uses for it? When I was a kid we used it to shine our tires.

2. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Some say it works good as a penetrant for rust busting bolts/nuts and fasteners. I haven't tried it.

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

4. IF the container was/is sealed it might actually be fine. You can get test strips to check for water contamination, which is the only real cause of it to go bad.
    If the container had been opened, it is pretty mush guaranteed to be bad after 20 years.
    If it's bad, dispose of it - between the toxicity (it can attack the central nervous system) and the fact that it ruins paint, why would you want to keep it?

5. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

Dispose of it... and if the container looks retro put it on a shelf and call it art...

6. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Works good to moisturizer tires.