Register now to get rid of these ads!

Used Plasti-dip for sound/heat barrier?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dccd, Jun 5, 2011.

1. dccd

dccd
    from Missouri

Has anyone used Plasti-dip as a heat and/or sound deadener in their rides? Just found an old spray can of the stuff I had forgotten about and was just wondering. The can says it will work for this purpose. Thinking about spraying a scrap piece of sheet and seeing how it does as a heat barrier.

2. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

I was interested in this as an underbody sealant

3. badshifter

badshifter

No, but I used Dynamat on my vise grip handles.

4. nofin

nofin
    from australia

Plasti-dip gets soft and flexible and can come off what it's painted on when it gets heated. And it really stinks when it catches fire.

5. dccd

dccd
    from Missouri

When it gets heated?? The propaganda on the can says it can be used in a heat insulation application. Any idea on the amount heat you're referring to to make it get soft and come off? Really want to know if I should be concerned using it on my firewall, or anywhere inside the car. Assume windows are rolled up and it's a typical MO summer of a few 100+ degree days.

And if my car does catch on fire, any stink coming off it will probably be fairly far down the list of things I'm concerned with at the time. :D