Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Used Ford 9" Inspection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ZakBradshaw, Jul 22, 2017.

1. ZakBradshaw

ZakBradshaw

I just picked up a complete Ford 9" rear axle complete from drum to drum. What can be checked with it out of a vehicle to see if the axle bearings are good? I spun the yoke and there is no play in it and the axles spun smoothly. The only leak I can see is from behind the yoke, pinion seal is bad? What else can I do to check for any other issues? I bought this for my 56 F100 project.

Thank you,
    Zak.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Budget36

Budget36

First is to check the backlash as it sits, if sloppy...you're taking things apart anyways.

Pull the axles, better to check the axle bearing with no load you'll feel the issues turning them by hand...but, once out, why not replace them?...I think they are 88128 sealed bearings, depending on the year.

After the axles are out, pull the chunk...personally I'd replace all bearings anyways...but that's just me.

9inch axles are about the easiest to set up for contact pattern...say vs a Dana 44....and so much easier to do while out of the vehicle.

3. squirrel

squirrel

I'd want to replace seals, and check bearings. Usually a 9" will need a new crush sleeve if you want to replace the pinion yoke, and get the pinion bearing preload set properly with the specified torque on the nut.

It's easier to check the wheel bearings for smoothness and sufficient lube if the axles are out. And you can replace the seals then, too.

4. ZakBradshaw

ZakBradshaw

Thanks guys, I guess tomorrow I'll start disassembling and cleaning it. Once the axles and differential is removed, what type of product is best to spray in the housing and on the parts to clean them?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

5. squirrel

squirrel

I use a solvent parts washer. Brake cleaner can be used, it's probably more useful on the inside. You'll probably need to do a bunch of scraping to get the outside close to being clean. Fun work, but it's just another part of the hot rodding thing.

6. southcross2631

southcross2631

I use my pressure washer on the rear end housing and the chunk. Then I go to my parts cleaner for the axles and chunk.
    If the rear end has been setting on the ground the portion of the ring gear that was out of the diff lube will probably be rusted. Maybe even pitted beyond use.

7. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

Had a little leak on pinion seal. Found pinion had big score in seal area.

8. ZakBradshaw

ZakBradshaw

This axle was pulled from a complete truck by the previous owner, so it hasn't been sitting outside on the ground at least.

I'll try brake cleaner and see if that works.

Thanks.

9. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

If it's a truck 9'' it will have large bolt circle on the lugs too. Not 5 on 4.5.

squirrel likes this.
  10. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you are going to use the gear set that is in the third member over I would check the back lash and record it then when it goes back together set the back lash where it was.

11. ZakBradshaw

ZakBradshaw

I am hoping I can get by without disassembling the third member.

12. squirrel

squirrel

I like to pull the pinion support out, at the least, because it's easy to work on them. Seems that's where the leaks usually come from, too.

13. ZakBradshaw

ZakBradshaw

My buddy is an electric motor mechanic and he brought over his dial indicator. We measured three different teeth around the ring and two were at .008 and one was .009.

14. ZakBradshaw

ZakBradshaw

15. squirrel

squirrel

If that's the worst of the rust, it should be ok.

16. ZakBradshaw

ZakBradshaw

I just half assed clean the gear up to take the measurements. The red on the gear is old fluid and was caked on everything. I didn't see any rust on it. The inside of the housing is a little rusty but mostly caked with the same brownish red gunk. What is the best way to check the bearings in the third member to see if they are still good?

17. squirrel

squirrel

The best way is to take them out and look at them.

18. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

For less than 100 bucks and a few hours time get the complete bearing kit from summit and be done. I did it last year as you are wanting to, there was an unseen and felt bad spot.

19. ZakBradshaw

ZakBradshaw

Okay. If I go ahead and replace all the bearings and seals and do them myself what all will I need?

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you take the 5 bolt that hold the pinion support in and remove it you will be able to feel if it has bad bearings.
    You will want to check the back lash before you take it apart a set it up the same going back together.

21. squirrel

squirrel

here is how Ford suggests you work on them. There are probably other how-to's around.

A press, a bearing separator, a couple torque wrenches, some misc stuff to use in the press like various size pipes, you already seem to have a dial indicator, and you'll need some stuff to use to drive in the bearing races and seal, I usually use my auto transmission bushing driver set for that.

http://selectric.org/manuals/rearend/indexford.html

22. Chiss

Chiss
    from S.C.

The pinion support Bearing inside the housing needs to be checked very well for Cracks. Ford used Several Different housings depending on Application and year's. This was a weak Spot in the lighter 9"s.

23. In the second pic, you can get a good look at the pinion support bearing. It has rollers missing.
    I would be extremely suspicious of the gearset being noisy, even after a correct reassembly.
    I was taught by the experienced gear builders I worked with, that if you disassemble an older unit, let's say to replace the bearings, the odds of getting it back together exactly the same is lessened, and most likely it will noisy. The combined experience of those 4 pro gear builders is over 100 years.

24. squirrel

squirrel

strange, I've been using old used Ford gears exclusively in my heaps with 9" rears for a while, lots of gear changes, no issues with noise. I have had noise issues with new gears in other types of rears.

But I don't have 100 years experience.

HemiDeuce and saltflats like this.