Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods USA made, forged spring perches?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fry, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Looking for some 28-34 normal hot rod style spring perches, wondering if anyone knows of any that are forged and American made? Not some Chinese made junk.
    Can’t seem to find any that actually say where they are made, and there doesn’t look like a big selection on manufacturers making forged perches. I have contacted asking a few but no replies this far.
    Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Try Bert’s Model A in Denver. 800-321-1931 for originals

4. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

If I could buy a NOS set absolutely!

When researching and trying to find a quality set of perches, I was surprised by the number of posts of guys with broken ones, aftermarket and used originals.

It's one of those things, if I run a 90 year old front end part and it breaks and I roll my car, people will say WTF did you expect? Same if I buy new aftermarket Chinese pieces. Kind of a catch 22.

5. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

6. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

After the Flop built 32 3 window broke a what I believe was a repop perch at speed- totaling that brand new build- I used Ford originals on my car

7. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

berts, as noted above.
    They have a great slection of orginal parts, and new repop stuff. The guys there are super helpful. I wouldnt mess with the website, ( most of them arent web types) Just give em a call

Fry likes this.
  8. As I recall, most of the broken perch threads are from guys who ran modified (non spring over axle) setups. What are your plans?

9. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

My plan is to not have this happen again.
    5000 miles, spring over axle tradition setup. Nothing crazy.
    Was setting my brakes as per my last thread, did a low speed panic stop to try and lock the brakes up.
    Next morning I had a squeak. After work I checked it over and found this.
    Went out and found my little black marks and right after the rest of the perch with nut and cotter pin was laying on the road.
    The torque from braking snapped this shitty casting.
    So with the next one, want something that won't try to kill me...
    IMG_2428.JPG

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    williebill, clem and wandi harry like this.
  10. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Could it have been the chroming process used on the perch that caused the failure?

harpo1313 and jimgoetz like this.
  11. 51box

51box
    from MA

Were you using a tapered castle nut on the perch pin?

12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Being in the chassis business I'm picky about what I use for parts. I have not found a US made forged spring perch. The only true forged spring perch I've found was sold by So-Cal, (now Roadster Supply) I'm sure they're foreign made. I've used a lot of them with no failures to date.

wackdaddy likes this.
  13. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Tapered, now sure how you would use a flat one?

Its stainless not chromed.

That is where I think I'm headed, I have asked where they are made, but no answer. Haven't read of failures from them though which is positive.

14. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Hydrogen embrittlement which is the loss of ductility can occur as a result of electroplating (chrome plating) of high strength steels. Hydrogen embrittlement can cause cracking of highly stressed parts. Typically high stressed parts are baked at approximately 300 F for a few hours depending on weight to eliminate hydrogen embrittlement within a few hours of completion of plating. For non stressed chrome plated parts this is not an issue.

If I were buying chrome plated suspension/steering parts it would only be from a reputable source or someone who could answer how the parts were processed.

jimgoetz likes this.
  15. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Sorry didn’t see parts were stainless steel before posting.

16. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Good luck with that, most can't even answer where their parts are made....

clem likes this.
  17. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

The location of the failure in the pic suggests improper threading, probably a deep thread land with a sharp edge. That causes stress concentration. It can be exacerbated by over-tightening the perch nut.

Is that he common point of failure?

bchctybob likes this.
  18. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

If they can’t answer or won’t answer where parts are made they should not be selling parts nor should we be supporting them by buying from them. It’s one thing to buy parts that can put you on the side of the road and quite another that puts you in the hospital or worse.

King ford and williebill like this.
  19. Ok, so you've had a bad experience with a cast spring perch. I'm not sure why that's crossing over into a hesitation towards a stock Ford forged perch?
    A stock perch doesn't have to be NOS to be leaps and bounds ahead of a cast one.
    Personally, I've never hesitated to use good condition used parts made by Ford.

20. 51box

51box
    from MA

King ford likes this.
  21. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Hesitant because, like I said, since checking into this I've read enough cases of stock unit breaking the same as aftermarket.
    What is the due diligence I should do before running one? Should it be fully tested for stress cracks and analyzed?
    Is there any proof that they are stronger than say a readily available new SoCal forged piece?
    Not against running an original one, I want to know all the options.
    If I stuck an original one in and it breaks and I roll my car, how many people will be saying WTF did you expect you dummy, 90 year old original parts holding your front end together...

22. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It wouldn't be unreasonable to have used parts magnaflux inspected.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tman and Speedy Canuck like this.
  23. UGOTBIT

UGOTBIT
    from Upstate NY

Are the stock versions breaking in the same place as your aftermarket piece?

24. As @treb11 said, wouldn't hurt to magaflux a set. That said, I can't recall a single thread or post in the past few years about stock Ford forged perches breaking in a typical (spring over axle) arrangement.
    Proof would be in the pudding... Car being on the road for 70, 80, 90 years with no break or damage.
    If you get T-Boned in an early Ford hotrod and die, I'm sure someone will say 'wtf? Why were you driving a car without side impact air bags, crumple zones, roll bar, abs, etc.'. Won't be this crowd though.

Keep in mind that if you search on the internet enough, you're going to find a couple of examples of anything failing. Buildings, airplanes, spring perches or otherwise.

jimgoetz, wackdaddy, Blues4U and 2 others like this.
  25. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

A7D52000-2CC6-4949-B206-86AF05F29228.jpeg D8B8556A-320D-465A-9E92-751E191CBD33.jpeg 689EE204-C2B2-4C57-96AE-7C9CB1CA0A2B.jpeg 689EE204-C2B2-4C57-96AE-7C9CB1CA0A2B.jpeg 31DC7E17-2F9E-49CE-822F-1AFE9B6C0381.jpeg I agree with you Fry. You want the best under your ass. There are threads on here ( hamb) about Magnum axles breaking in different spots also safety reports on Magnum axles . Once is too much.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    Texas57 and Fry like this.
  26. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

That I know, internet is full of shit. I'm just trying to wade through it...
    I'm ok being T-boned and dying in my 90 year old car. I have provisions built for that, I'll take that risk, doesn't bother me.
    Even if you somehow had a car on the road for 100 years in stock configuration, that really doesn't have anything to do with a split bone hotrod going 80 mph down the road. Apples to oranges.

I have a couple people message me with reports of originals breaking in same place, and some saying they've been on cast perches for over 100k miles, is that proof of anything, nope..

Playing devils advocate, not trying to argue. Looking at all the options..

My original post wasn't anything to do with original vs aftermarket, it was trying to see if there are any USA made, forged steel, spring perches available. This is your rabbit hole we are going down.

chopped likes this.
  27. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

I am editing the manufacturers name from my post until I'm sure who it is from, my invoice has a magnum part number but they say it doesn't look like their part.

28. bobscogin

bobscogin

If the bones are split and mounted outboard on the frame rails, any perch is being subjected to forces they weren't intended to take when the axle tries to twist. Those forces don't occur in a wishbone that pivots centrally as stock, or in a parallel 4 bar setup. Of course, the best possible choice would be a forging, but even their limits can be exceeded by the forces in some applications.

Bob

29. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Pair of original perches for sale in the HAMB classifieds now!

King ford and Fry like this.
  30. I was playing around dummying up a Ford axle/37 split wishbones,and repop perches,and it appeared to me that theres a lot of slop between axle,and bone around the lower hole.I know the tapered nut on the perch should center everything,but when I put it together for good im going to shim/bush any play down there.That perch pin shouldnt have to deal with loading other than straight down spring weight.

Atwater Mike, Tman and X38 like this.