Register now to get rid of these ads!

URA- Unidentified rear axel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LarzBahrs, Nov 7, 2009.

1. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

I have an very small limited slip axel that someone said might be a crosley. It has dana ring and pinion gears in it. It has extended hub spacers on it because the studs on the axel its self are to short to attach wheels directly to and also because the drums are to big to fit in the wheels. Heres a picture of it.

[​IMG]

If it is a crosley how much power can it take because Ive been honestly contemplating maybe pairing it up with a vtwin of some sort. Any clue what it is out of?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Any clue guys? Come on!

3. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Can you post a picture of the attachment of the axle to the brake drum? That might be the weak link, especially with those wide tires.

How big a V-twin? An old 45 hp or some new big-inch screamer?

4. That is out of a 3 wheeled Cushman scooter

5. squirrel

squirrel

the husky engine put out about 8hp, right?

I have one of those...I sure didn't recognize it, because I haven't looked under mine for 15 years

6. Could be out of a later OMC twin. They were about 18 HP, same as an HD 45 "G" motor. The problem with hooking a V twin to it is the transmission. Better just to locate a Servicar rear end and run chain drive as God intended

Looking at the picture again, it has Husky mounts. Those rear ends are pretty rugged. I think they are the same as Crosley.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  7. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

I actually have a transmission and engine that are supposidly paired with this.
    [​IMG]

The problem with the engine is that it has an external coil ( the wires running from behind the fly wheel) Im not sure where I could find the wiring and stuff for it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  8. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Plym49 The wheel spacer is up in the left corner of the last picture.

9. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

You could make your own ignition for that. There are several ways to trigger 'points'. Could be a cam that opens a regular set of points, or a magnet that 'trips' an electronic circuit. They sell electronic points eliminators for a few dollars.

10. squirrel

squirrel

do you have plans for the engine? or just the clutch assy?

11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have that exact rear axle in a '70's Kalamazoo electric utility cart, that I picked up as Navy surplus. Mine is parallel leaf, but otherwise identical, down to the "drive shaft", brakes, and the (common) color. I remember seeing these under a variety of electric and fuel powered scooters and service carts over the years. I work with Dana 60's and 44's a lot, I call this the Dana 1.

12. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Do you have any idea how much power they can take? By chance you have a picture of yours cart?

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There should be a contact breaker (aka, points) under the fan/flywheel. With the appropriately matched condenser, coil and ballast resistor, you should be in the ignition business. It works just like points in a distributor, just without the "distributing" portion since its only got one plug.

No tech like low-tech. Wiring is: condenser to points, points to coil-, coil+ to ballast resistor, ballast resistor to 12v. Don't forget to screw the condenser to ground.

14. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Where would i be able to find the condenser and all that at? Its a pretty old set up and I honestly have no idea what type of engine it is.

15. squirrel

squirrel

owners manual pages from the 1961 Cushman Truckster 780 manual, it should be a Husky engine

Attached Files:

16. Dennis Carpenter has all the parts you need. The coil is under the flywheel along with the points and condenser unless someone has monkeyed with it. I've had 10-15 Cushmans over the years. They're fun

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And there you have it. Doesn't this place rock?

18. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

Hell yeah this place rocks gimpy! Carl, its an electric start husky, it has the starter mount on it. How can I get into contact with Dennis?

19. squirrel

squirrel

google:

dennis carpenter cushman

20. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

It depends if i can get the ignition components or not. I really want to use it but who knows what will happen

21. squirrel

squirrel

ok, if you decide not to use it, I might be interested.

You should be able to find the ignition parts you need, I think there is a lot of stuff out there still for these things.

22. the-rodster

the-rodster

Have you guys ever been to his shop?

He has a huge building devoted to Cushmans, hundreds of them, restored, original, etc.

I've never seen so many in one place.

Rich