Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Upolstery question - Am I THAT out of touch?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 427 sleeper, Mar 31, 2022.

1. Best part!

Ben

2. With that price I will definitely be trying to make my own... maybe patch my old ones?

427 sleeper likes this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Everything is up especially material kinda like paint and associated parts. If a shop is busy it’s because they are good and prices will show it. I paid $1600 for front and back and I had to purchase the original style broadcloth from SMS which was not cheap. The vinyl was all marine grade and it included everything from the springs up, horsehair, foam padding, and some additional spring work I asked for. I brought the seats in. I had to wait 2 months. They had done work for friend an me before.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  4. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

$1,600 isn't bad at all in my eye's, and in fact, is more inline with what I was expecting to pay.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was a bench front and rear seat only. I thought it was a fair price. Side panels were stock replacements. Headliner and carport replaced earlier. A2F5010E-90A0-4ED5-89F7-352E357B7A2E.jpeg

6. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In this area upholstery is costly for quality work. Have had maybe 5-6 40 Coupes done. Complete with dynamat, leather, square weave carpet including trunk-$8000-8500. A few years back had a stock CARS interior done in my 57 Fuely complete including carpet, visors etc. Labor was $3100

7. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I'm not disagreeing with you. But, it's really sh!tty that is how things need to be handled these days. It's especially hard for me to deal with because I grew up in one of those places where, before the internet connected everything/everyone, we used to joke about "Welcome. Don't forget to turn your clock back 10 years".

williebill and 5window like this.
  8. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

I had Lebaron Bonny interior in y 40 in leather and the top also some 8-10yrs ago and the cost of just the kit was over $8000 and I had to pay to put most of it on.Of course the door panels and rear carpet was included.That was 10yrs ago.So it has always been high

9. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I get a seat done in 2 week for 1k at the local shop here.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

for pricey, look at the Plush and Padded thread here

11. safetythird

safetythird

I seem top be reading a lot of posts of how easy upholstery work is by some who don't seem to be doing upholstery work.

Similarly, painting is very simple-just put it on evenly with no blemishes.

That's only two things, and a paint gun hardly weighs anything.

It must be easy.

desotot and Squablow like this.
  12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not sure I'd call it "easy", but I was surprised in doing my first upholstery work that it wasn't as hard as I thought it might be.

13. safetythird

safetythird

I'm sure it varies, I just ain't one to call something easy if I ain't the one doing it.

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I didn't expect it to be easy, and just taking my buckets apart and ripping all the seams wasn't easy. But once I laid the pieces out on my material, and began stitching all the pieces together, I thought to myself, "this isn't as hard as I thought it would be.
    The toughest part was removing the covers, and reinstalling the new covers I stitched up. The door panels, side panels, and trunk divider were all flat work, and very easy to do. I think I spent a little over 2 days total, and I was as green as grass at this work.

15. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

Bottom line is upholsterers need to eat too. I imagine the overhead and essential supplies have gone up considerably.
    I am notorious for being out of touch with the costs and going rates for just about everything these days. Its been an all downhill rollercoaster ride the last few years.
    It is usually easy to figure out after a bit of research if someone is overcharging because of an abundance of customers in line or actual cost have risen that much. It's easy to estimate the material cost and the time requirement to complete the job but as mentioned a quality recognized shop will command a premium. Being a cheap bastard with more time than money, I fall into the "do it myself" group as well. Even so I have a few thousand tied up in equipment and haven't sewn a stitch yet.

427 sleeper likes this.
  16. Just to add something to this, we have a set of seats that were done at another upholstery shop, the owner of the seats bought his seat covers from the restoration shop. He wasn't happy with how the look so he brought them here, asking if we can fix it. Started taking them apart today. The covers he bought must've been from the bargain bin, because they are CHEAPPPPPPPPPP made. Not foamed with the exception of the pleated center panel, and that's got 1/4" foam on it. The pockets on the covers for the listing wires are so far off that the covers can't be stretched. The last guy put his hog rings through the vinyl, which will rip with stress. Here's a couple of pictures. But all of this said, knowing how Jed is, he didn't buy the cheap crap.... 20220406_140114.jpg 20220406_142625.jpg

427 sleeper likes this.
  17. Fitzall covers. Made to fit a brand new factory seat and a 30 year old worn out seat.

18. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, that's some rough lookin' shit! Can't believe they used the old foam too! You're right Lloyd, I believe in getting what you pay for, so I got the best kit I could get. I dropped the stuff off at the trim shop today. Small Shop, just the owner and his son. Had some finished projects waiting to be picked up, and I gotta say, it was some damn fine looking work! The price was unbeliveably fair I thought, and the turnaround time is 2 week's or sooner, possibly. As luck would have it, 2 project's that were supposed to be there this week are still locked up in paint jail, so this leaves some extra time for my stuff. It kinda worked out for both of us. I'll post some pic's when I get the stuff back, but I'm confident that all will be right. He's been doing this for 40 years and comes highly recommended by quite a few of the gearhead's that I know. I just hope my luck is as good as theirs!!! ;)

19. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

call Brents upohlstry sterling illinois

20. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would, but Sterling is a pretty good poke from me, and I already dropped the stuff off at another shop. I'm greatful for the suggestion though. :cool:

21. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know it's been awhile, but I didn't forget... completely. :oops: I got my seat's back, in the time frame promised -2 week's, at the price quoted-$600.00, with a couple of thing's thrown in, free of charge! All in all, I'm happier than a pig in shit with how they turned out! Plus it's a far cry from the original quote of $3,200.00!!! And just because we all like pic's, here's a few of the seat's. 20220609_162854.jpg 20220609_162911.jpg 20220609_162922.jpg 20220609_163035.jpg 20220609_163325.jpg

reagen, metlmunchr, -Brent- and 5 others like this.
  22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your stock replacement interior looks great and appears to fit as good as premades can. My Ford had premade also by the previous owner and was ok like yours but I wanted a different pattern.
    I can guarantee that the shop doing it didn’t charge $100 per hour because there looks to be more than 6 hours work even for someone familiar with all aspects of interior work. I hope you share with friends who need work for you if your satisfied.

427 sleeper likes this.
  23. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mapes auto upolstery in Gilberts, Il did the work. Just a father and son team that take pride in their work and are genuine, good people! Their custom work is phenominal!!! :cool: