Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Upholstery material question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy2car, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Guys, I need some help.
    I'm going to have my seats reupholstered, and am not sure where to ask a question. I know there is an Upholstery Group.
    I need to know what is the best material FABRIC to use? Somrething that looks good and wears well. No vinyl.
    Would the Up Group be best or here?
    How do I find the Upholstery group here?
    Any help appreciated
    Thanks
    Jim

2. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Well there are a lot of fabrics available. Just make sure it is auto rated. The shop will have samples and may have some original body cloths. I always preferred the original cloths when I was in business in Modesto. Good luck

3. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What car? What's going on with the rest? As far as cloth, avoid anything from the mid 70s. Nothing looks like "cheap" more than that phony velour shit from that period. Even the best stitching and design won't help. The late 50s and early 60s had some really kool cloth used in a number of cars. Some of it was "peppered" with metallic fibers, some were multi-color, most of it wears really well with UV being it's worst enemy.

4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

How about some tweed from the billet days? just kiding! I would say Its what ever suits your taste. Im sure you have some sort of idea which way you what it to look like. A good trim guy can steer you in the right direction.

5. Look at marine upholstery sites. That stuff withstands pretty harsh environments.

6. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

By shopping around I've found some great buys on high quality automotive leather. I've done my last 8 deuces in leather. I never get tired of the smell, the look and the feel of fine leather.

7. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with Krylon 32--love the smell and look of leather-have done at least a dozen 40's in leather

8. ken1939

ken1939

Garys Upholstery Supply has some nice stuff, I have used them on a few projects. SMS has some factory upholstery as well.

9. If I were going with cloth I would go with mohair or a modern rendition of it. There is just something about those old mohair seats that floats my boat.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yep--
    smsautofabrics.com
    The go to place
    Right here in PDX area

11. aaggie

aaggie

Ask the guy that is going to do the work. They should be able to show you samples and explain the differences between fabrics. Don't go cheap you will be looking at the job for a long time. Most of the cost will be in labor.

12. Ask about fabric weight; the heavier the weight, the more durable the material.

13. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

Thanks everyone for the advice. This is for the original seats in a 32 tudor sedan which are individual fronts and a bench rear.
    I'd like to use vinyl, but the wife wants fabric of some sort, at least on the seating inserts.