Register now to get rid of these ads!

Upholstery guys...what glue do you use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frank, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Frank

Frank

I had very good results doing my door panels several years ago on a car. I used the 3M spray Upholstery Adhesive. It worked well most of the time. While I have never had any problems with the door panels, I have had problems with other panels. When it gets warm, the glue softens and what ever material pulls away. Doesn't matter if its cloth or vinyl, hardboard, plastic or wood. Is there some other spray adhesive that would perform better? Something that preferrably I wouldn't have to run through my paint sprayer? Is it a fault in how I am applying it? Seems like it does the same whether I apply it light or heavy.

Monique Elliott likes this.
  2. AllSteel34

AllSteel34

I use the same 3M adhesive and have always had good results. Occasionally I use plain old DAP contact cement. It works well on vinyl, foam, and waterboard.

Chris

Monique Elliott likes this.
  3. Kustomz

Kustomz

I like to use 3m Super Trim Adhesive in the spray cans and have had good results. It is kind of pricey in the spray cans but well worth it to me. Be sure you spray both surfaces such as the material and the surface you are applying the material to. Apply 3 coats allowing dry time between each coat. Works every time for me.

4. It's the heat that softens the glue. I had this same problem with a mislabeled case of adhesive I used in my shop. I had to redo a headliner and a vinyl top; a wasted day repairing these jobs.

AllSteel34 nailed it with DAP contact cement. It's pretty heat resistant and yo ucan apply it with a roller. Most of us trim guys spray the adhesive through a gun or a small pressure pot and we use landau cement. It's the stuff designed for putting vinyl roofs on. Heat resistant, and if you spray both pieces and let the glue dry for a few minuts you can reposition your pieces before you apply prssure to make the bond permanent.

5. Im not an Upholstery guy but have done some of my own,and I used "Weldwood cement" same application- [use on both peices] and then contact them for a bond.

It is cheap[7-8 dollars a quart] and can be found at Westlakes-Ace/TrueValue hardware stores.....

It is very strong and stays permanently,does not attack /soften any vinyls or foam/plastics-or [paint].
    I used Landau foam with this and it works real well.

If I had to flaw it for anything- I 'd say it is a little on the fast side, tack wise...it will lift apart maybe one time, if an adjustment is needed but after a minute or two it will bite and the first stab is your last one.....very durable tho and will spray thru a gun with no probs -clean up with laquer thinner with no damage to your equiptment....

6. LilDuec

LilDuec

You need a High Temp type of glue. You can get this at any Upholstery supply shop and I think you can even get it at the parts store and also Lowe's. Spray it on both the fabric and also the panel with a pretty good amount and wait a couple minutes for it to get tacky. Don't soak it or anything but just cover it good. The High Temp glue holds when the panel gets hot and actually gets tackier! It comes in a spray can too so no need to use your air gun. Hope this helps!

7. Bugman

Bugman

Weldwood contact cement is what we use. From the little bit I've used it, it's some pretty good stuff.

8. Far5

Far5

There's a spray contact adhesive I get from Wickes which takes really well with this type of upholstery foam.

9. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

Dap weldwood landau adhesive in a gallon paint can sprayed out of a. $20 siphon primer gun. Works awesome and once it fully dries it’s not sticky so you can be cheap and re-use masking paper

Black_Sheep likes this.