Register now to get rid of these ads!

Upholstery Foam Questions.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big_John, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

I'm getting ready to do my seats in my '53 Chrysler. I bought some nice replacement covers from Automotive Interiors. I've done covers a few times before on some later OT cars, but this is the first time I've ever had to replace the foam.

I have some generic "poly foam" from Hobby Lobby that is 1" thick. After doing some reading, I think I need to use a medium density foam for the seats rather then the foam I have. Does that sound right?

Do I need to use medium density foam for the seat backs too? Or can I use the foam I already have?

2. BigEd

BigEd

As previously posted:

Here's some more info and a place to buy:

http://www.rochfordsupply.com/buyersguide_foam.asp

The numbering system for polyurethane foam is very simple. The first two numbers describe the quality of the foam, and the second two numbers describe the density (ILD or indent load deflection) or firmness of the foam. The higher the first two numbers are, the better the foam quality is. The higher the second two numbers are, the greater the density of the foam, and the firmer the foam is. The first two numbers should be at least 22, with really high quality foam being 30 to 35. The second two numbers are as follows. 30 to 35 is medium, 40 to 55 is firm, 65 is extra firm, and 80 is hard. Back foam doesn't need to be really firm, or of very high quality because it gets very little wear. Seat foam, on the other hand should be higher quality and the density is a personal preference. 2235 would be good for back foam, and 3045 would be fine for seat foam. You can substitute a lower ILD foam for a higher one by making it thicker and wider and pulling it tighter. (BTW, the color of the foam does not mean anything, the only thing that matters is the numbering system).

3. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Thank you big Ed.. I didn't know any of that... Thats good info !

4. 'Mo

'Mo

Bookmarked. Thanks.

5. Gator

Gator

Good stuff by BigEd.

Also, a friend of mine who does top notch work told me when he has a customer who wants a firmer seat he uses the firm stuff then covers it with a thin sheet of the softer foam, lets him stretch the material and still gives a soft feel but with firm support - sounds like were talking about women's underwear now...

6. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Any furniture upholster shop will have the foams you need. Also if you pllan to drive the car for long distance, you should go with a supreme foam - your butt will thank you.

7. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

Thanks for the info Big Ed!

I think I have a little better handle on it now.

8. Shopking

Shopking
    from central Pa

THANKS TO BIG ED,never knew about that numbering system.

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, correct foam when doing upholstery is as important as the proper prep for a paint job. cut corners to save a couple bucks and you will pay with poor results in the long run.