Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Upholstery Experts- I have Questions! Any Tips Tricks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dreddybear, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Thanks for any input. I have read and learned alot about upholstery on here. To give you an idea of what I'm attempting, here are my frame horn test inserts. They're fixed to luan backing with snaps. I need to redo them with thicker foam to get the rolls to look right.

[​IMG]

Here's what I want to make. It's motor mount inserts. I cant fix em to luan because they're sortof reverse boxed, and luan would be too thick. I want the edges to look nice and crisp, but when I attepted to make em it didn't go well :eek:. Here's a sketch of what I was attempting:

[​IMG]

I want them to sit inside of the motor mount but under the bolts that go to the engine and frame.

Here are the motor mounts on the engine:

[​IMG]

How would you make this? Tips? Suggestions? Thank you!!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  2. I am not an upholstery expert but could you use an abs plastic sheet instead of the luan and heat it up and form it to the box shape of the insert and then wrap your upholstery around that?

Or even sheet metal?

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Thanks! Never thought of that. I put a pic of the engine with the motor mounts on to give an idea. They're chrome, so I want the chrome to show, just not the inside section.

4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Use a piece of steel, 18 to 22 gauge depending on the application. Expierement a little. I use it occasionally.

5. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I dont understand. Glue the inserts to the steel?

6. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yes folks you read it right, we're talking about upholstering engine mounts!!! Go Dreddy go!!

Oh and when in doubt, ask Mitch.

7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Attatch it the same as if you were using ABS or luan.

8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

It was Mitch's idea. He drooled on them, now they get covered up:)

With the luan I used staples. Is there glue strong enough to hold the stretched edge? Sorry if I'm asking ametuer questions.

9. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I would use either 20 ga or flashing wieght. could use aluminum.After bnding to shape cover it using contact cement ,not the kind in a spray can.I use weldwood hhr spray grade out of a gun,hasn't let me doen in 40 years.[just a note,some people think i cover crazy stuff,you may have me beat]:D

10. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

I would vote for ABS plastic 1/8" thick, you can bend it in a press brake without heating it up and warping it. You can either glue or staple to the back of it. I would suggest gluing the upholstery to the front of your base material, especially at the corners (bends) so it won't "tent" up over time. Give yourself alot of overlap on the material when you make your part, you can always cut the excess off after. Youre definently on the right track. Also from your drawing you have vertical and horizontal rolls, so youll have to make the upholstery in 3 pieces, then sew them together for it to look good.

11. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

What does extreme heat do to plastic ? It is an engine mount.

12. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

good point, plastic may not be the best choice on second thought

13. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Thank you guys, I think I have an idea on how to proceed. :)

14. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

that's cool as hell. you are nuts. yet a genius! i like it! i need more pictures!

#EDIT# found the build thread. i know what i'm reading for a while.

15. Harris

Harris

Have no idea on upholstery, but DAMN is that motor nice, cant wait to see the finished look

16. Dreddy, you can also rivet rubber "tack strip" to metal and staple the edge of the fabric to that. I make seat pans for the wife and that's how we attach the covers to the aluminum. The staples are only like 1/4" long, you just use a shitload of them.

17. fatluckys

fatluckys

I'd make them out of aluminum. Make sure you leave space between the insert and the motor mount for the upholstery to wrap around. I might even be tempted to make three separate flat panels and butt them up next to each other. Feel free to give me a call if you need any help.

18. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Thanks man! I appreciate it. That's exactly what I'm gonna do now.

19. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Just to update this thread, I followed fatluckys advice and I'm pretty stoked. I may go too far with this upholstery stuff..

[​IMG]

20. Upholstered engine mounts??? I love it!!! Great work

21. Looks great Dreddy! Those are going to be a bitch to keep clean:D.

22. alchemy

alchemy

You'll need locktite on those threads since the vinyl will be squishy and might allow the nuts/bolts to come loose.

23. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Yep. And I actually have shortened the bolts a little and swapped the nuts with acorn nuts. :D

With the exhaust manifolds on theyre sorta hidden. But thats the point, subtle little details.:)