Register now to get rid of these ads!

Upholstery DIY Diamond pleats/quilting

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakesbackyard, May 31, 2009.

1. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

2. Cshabang

Cshabang

very cool. I remember learning Diamonds...I was so frustrated it wasn't funny..I swore it off for about a minute...haha

3. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Beautiful!! So much talent on this site!!

Ian

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Major PITA doing the tufted stuff, huh? Did a 1914 Chevy last month, all old world-horsehair-button tufted-leather. Little to no sewing really, more like therapy for the menatlly ill! In the end it came out looking pretty "real".

5. MarkX

MarkX
    from ...TX

thats a cool easy tech to follow...... thanks, I gonna try something like that on my own interior, since the person who was supposed to help me never did.........

6. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Will the HD machines that were used in the sewing manufacturing shops work or what kind of sewing machine will work for a couple cars or so ?
    What kind of needles , thread should be used ? Where can the foam and stuff for redoing car seats ?

Damn great thread ! Thanks !

7. Von Farly 1923

Von Farly 1923
    from Sacramento

Great Tech! I am taking my 1950 PFAFF dubbed "The Baron" off Craigslist and giving upholstery another try. Thanks

8. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

WOW! All these kind comments are pretty humbling for an old body/trim guy. Thank you very much. Especially when he's a FNG!

I was gone all day so didn't have time to find the tufting book - I'll look yet.

VonFarley - Old sewing machines never die - blow it out good and oil it and that old Pfaff will do anything a new one will. Giver hell!

Highlander - You're right - tufting involves no sewing - It is a true art form. I salute you. But where did you find fresh horse hair? Not that I really want know....

RetroJim - An HD machine will work if it was for heavy material. For instance a HD machine that was used for sewing shirts and dresses probably won't work. It won't take the large diameter thread required for upholstery fabrics and vinyl.

I use #69 Nylon thread (available in a ton of colors) for most everything. If it is something that will be in the weather and sunlight all the time, like a tarp, they suggest a polyester thread. I have had no problems using nylon in roadsters or anything like that though. I use #21 needles in my machine.

For everyone - I get most all my supplies and materials from uph. suppliers who don't sell to the general public for obvious reasons. For the do-it-yourselfer check this place out. I have purchased some vinyls (symphony - good stuff) from them because they offered a few more colors than my suppliers. They are almost wholesale to anyone and give great service.

http://www.yourautotrim.com/

To any trimmers who think I might be cutting into their business by posting this stuff - I'm sorry, but I learned a long time ago that the DIYers want to try it themselves and usually can't afford a professional anyway. And those who try it have a whole lot of respect for the professionals when they're done. If/when they can afford it - they'll be at your door.

Thanks again....Jake :)

9. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

i think most of these guys want to do their own,more pride in the end .great thread,thanks. ive always made flat panels.dont need another machine to harm me lol

10. mikes51

mikes51

You make it look easy. I know if I tried it, I would destroy a few sheets before I got it right.

For example, in this photo, near the sewing machine the material is puckered up, not smooth. It must take some experience to eliminate those uneven shapes in the material.

[​IMG]

That is an excellent post. Well documented with good photos.

11. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Good eye! I had to take my hands off the material to take the picture. I usually have one hand on each side as I sew, to keep the material smoothed out and no wrinkles.

It will take a practice panel or two to get the feel of it and it will come. The thing to really work on is sewing a straight line. If you do start to weave off your chalk line, don't try to quick turn back onto the line. Gradually go back to the line and it won't show as much. The rest will be a piece of cake in no time.

Try it on a couple of 16" X 16" pcs. first and then lay the two face to face. Sew them together leaving about an 8" opening in the middle of one side. Turn it right side out through the opening, stuff with a little poly batting you can get at Wally World, & blind stitch the opening up. Make two of them. You'll have it down pat and set one in each corner of the rear seat of your car. Just like the '60s and you'll impress the hell out of your wife or girlfriend. :D

12. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Here's a link to the book I used to learn hand tufting. Still available for $20. Mine is dated 1981. It is written by Donald Zitur, Sr. from Brainerd, MN. It is titled "The Art of Hand Tufting".

You should understand that hand tufting does not lend itself well on newer style seats that have sewn bands around the sides. It was more adaptable to buggy seat era cars and furniture.

Attached Files:

55Deso likes this.
  13. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Great post! Can anyone recommend any specific brands or models of sewing machines? I'm looking in the $200.00 - $300.00 range. My car needs an interior and I'm not ready to pay what I've been quoted. :D

14. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Here's a good hobbyist machine: http://www.qualitysew.com/redesign/

Some good used machines can sometimes be found at yard sales, auctions, etc... in the $200-$400 range.

Good old Singer uph machines - models 28, 111w, 112w

Good Consew machines - models 206, 224, 225, 226

Lots of good old Pfaff (the cadillac of uph machines) models, but I'm not as versed in the numbers (I could never afford a cadillac). I think a good model is a 545.

Good luck.....Jake

6inarow likes this.
  15. SWEET!!!! Me likes!:eek: I am feeling.....inspired, wish I had a machine to try.

16. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

Are there anywhere on the net, that a person could but diamond pattern upholstery material, already sown up???
    And does anybody know, if there is a place, to buy diamond patterned seat covers???

I love the diamond stuff, but I don't have the sewing machine,etc, and I definitely don't have the talent, skill, or Patience's!!lol

I just started, trying to brighten up my interior, and it hasn't took me long to realize, that this is going to be the hardest for me, to try, and get to looking right!!

Thanks
    Duane

17. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

18. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

I'm feeling inspired jake! I just got some blue metalflake vinyl for the A coupe... maybe some diamonds will make their way into it's interior! We'll have to see. Hell of a nice tech thread though! Not bad for a FNG!

19. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Joel....use some denser foam for that metalflake vinyl....it's some thick/heavy stuff and the cheap foam won't hold the puffs real well.....you can always give me a call.

20. BTT

Seems to be a bunch of interior stuff lately!!

Does anyone have any more info on the diamond tufted pleating stuff?

Bill

21. Covergirl

Covergirl
    from Oklahoma

Great thread! Always looking for new and better ways to do a Diamond pattern. Thanks for the info on the book also. Definitely saving this one.

22. shell2922

shell2922
    from Michigan

JakesBackyard,

Can You tell me What type of sewing machine and needle I would need to sew marine vinyl. Is there a special foot you use to sew the Diamond pleats.
    Thanks

23. Or, if you really want to complicate things, how about doubles...?
    [​IMG]

24. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Thanks for sharing.

25. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Any good uph machine will sew marine vinyl. Usually marine vinyl is just like regular vinyl, but is treated with UV screeners. No special foot is required for sewing the diamonds. I use the regular cording foot on my machine for most everything.

If you're looking for more info on uph machines or uph in general - check out the Upholstery Social group. Lot's of great info.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=174

26. shell2922

shell2922
    from Michigan

When I sew my stitch gets very small, why? I'm sewing marine vinyl with a backing.

27. shell2922

shell2922
    from Michigan

what thread is used for marine vinyl?

28. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

Not sure about the small stitch....set it on the longest your machine will go. If the vinyl is real sticky spray some silicone spray on the machine bed and under the feet.

Most companies recommend polyester thread for out door use. I use nylon for everything and have never had problems.

29. subscribed , amazing turtorial thank you

30. Tommy454

Tommy454

Here are a few shots of a diamond interior job done for a customers 55 Chevy

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

54fierro, 35desoto and Muttley like this.