Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Upgrading a 55 Chevy's Steering Column?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr. Sinister, Apr 8, 2021.

1. ^^ I notched my column so the three tabs on the nut plate "lock" into place and won't twist out. You can also remove the "shift" tube or cut off the arm at the bottom that works the shift linkage.

olscrounger and Mr. Sinister like this.
  2. Did the job on Friday. Pretty easy, hardest part was pulling the new turn signal wires through the column. Cut the old ones off the old turn signal module and taped the new ones to them, then pulled them through one at a time. Worked like a charm.
    But my turn signal collar still rotates. The column is just too worn I guess. I may try the above advice to see if I can correct it.
    I also ordered a new 15" replica 58-60 Impala wheel for it, so I'll actually be able to use the turn signal canceling feature now.
    Car is now going down for a while to get totally rewired and the fuel system redone.

3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Are you sure it's clock in the right position? Before placing the 3 retainer screws push down and rotate left to right. You should then feel it drop into the correct position. Now insert screws and tighten.

Mr. Sinister likes this.
  4. Yeah, it is. It fits flush to the shift collar all around when I first install it. As soon as I use the signal it moves out of place. The bottom screw of the three that are supposed to hold it won't thread, the threads are stripped out of the piece it screws in to. I may try a larger screw in that spot.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  5. Put the Impala wheel on, I think it looks great. Had to drill out the shaft bore before the splined section on the wheel, it was about 1mm too tight. After that it popped right on. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Matt55folife and 41 coupe like this.