Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Updates on my 33 Plymouth PD Coupe Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by dwollam, Apr 18, 2016.

1. dwollam

dwollam

It feels good to have made my goal of taking the '33 to Bonneville. Car worked well. REALLY stiff suspension. Needs softer rear shocks and maybe 1 leaf out of the front spring. Car goes dead straight at any speed. Brakes work quite well. Nothing broke or fell off. Gotta make and install some deadbolts for the suicide doors. Exhaust is a little low but I think it sounds killer.

Salt was amazing this year. Didn't even stick to the tires. Couldn't get enough salt on the car to even prove I had been out there. I did pull off the road to look at a '20's Dodge roadster pickup hotrod and when I pulled back up outta there crap started flying everywhere! Nasty sticky potash crap I guess, not sure why it was wet on the "ramp" back onto the pavement but that was the worst I got. Rinsed it off at home, then up on the lift and it was very clean underneath. Hosed it off just to got the road dust off.

Here are a few pics at Bonneville 2021. You can see the potash mud spots on the sides.

Was happy to see they put up a new Bonneville sign after some asshat stole the last, new one. This one looks pretty secure, hopefully.

Dave

20210809_115258.jpg 20210809_115327.jpg 20210809_115340.jpg 20210809_115653.jpg

slayer, RMR&C, Hamtown Al and 12 others like this.
  2. earlymopar

earlymopar

Great job Dave! The coupe looks just right.

loudbang and dwollam like this.
  3. dwollam

dwollam

Thank you!

Dave

loudbang likes this.
  4. dwollam

dwollam

You're welcome! And thank you.

Dave

loudbang likes this.
  5. dart4forte

dart4forte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Who did your motor?

6. dart4forte

dart4forte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Hey Dave, did you have any problems with the pushrods after shaving your heads?

7. trollst

trollst
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hate you......look at me, look at me, my car was on the salt, salt was great this year......uh huh, just my luck, stuck here in canuckland, not allowed to cross into america. Seriously, car looks great, proportions are perfect, the style I like, glad it went well. Next year.....sigh.....

36 ROKIT, loudbang and dwollam like this.
  8. dwollam

dwollam

@dart4forte , I did the work myself other than machine shop shaving the heads and my son in law does my valves and seats with the valve grinder setup I gave him for Christmas. I measured the original steel shim head gaskets and measured the Best brand gaskets, then had them take .020 off the heads. He did the thicker head 1st, then cut the 2nd one to match. Engine is just a used stock '52 New Yorker 331 extended bell with 1954 331 Heads and intake. Non adjustable rockers. Lifters would clatter with original heads and everything. Sill the same after all the changes. In hind sight, I should have rebuilt the engine but.... it has rust pin holes in the lower block from setting for many years without liquid in it. Had antifreeze when it was drained in 1992 but it still rusted. Bars leak handles the problem so far. I've decided to run it as is and look for another engine down the road. I am hoping it clears up the lifter issue by suing it and keep flushing clean oil through it but not holding my breath. Doesn't clatter at 1st but does after driving. Great oil pressure. I'll pretend it has solid lifters!!

Dave

@trollst , what can I say? I would have welcomed you in if it was up to me. Thanks for the positive comments! See ya next year.

36 ROKIT, loudbang and ottoman like this.
  9. dart4forte

dart4forte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Dave

I have the same lifter clatter with my 330. I’m using the 340 lifters. We’ve determined that the problem is the oil band. The 340 lifters has a wider band located lower on the lifter body. The OE Hemi lifter has a narrow band located near the top of the lifter.

when I start the motor my lifters clatter but after a few minutes they stop. The different oil band is not letting the lifter to fully pump up. If I drive my PU THE LIFTERS PRETTY MUCH STAY PUMPED UP HOWEVER IF I sit for a period of time they bleed down.

I’ve located several sets of used OE lifters which I sent to Oregon Cam Grinders to have them refurbished. I’m current gathering parts for a 241 which I will exchange with the 330.

John

By the way, cool ride

loudbang likes this.
  10. dwollam

dwollam

@dart4forte , mine is just the opposite. Good at startup but clatters after driving. Keep hoping mine are just gunked up.

Dave

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  11. Maicobreako

Maicobreako

Really? My kid's family just went to Canaduh on Monday, no problems.

loudbang likes this.
  12. noboD

noboD

I think they are allowing us to go there but we are not allowing them here, something about NAFTA maybe? Dave, have you tried Marvel Mystery in the oil? It has cleaned hydraulic lifters for me.

loudbang likes this.
  13. dart4forte

dart4forte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

I’m finding these hemis have these little quirks. Probably something simple. Second on the Marvel Mystery oil

loudbang likes this.
  14. dwollam

dwollam

@noboD and @dart4forte , yes, I have tried Marvel, Seafoam, ATF, VOODOO, thick oil, thin oil, you name it. 50w oil seems to be best so far. I will keep changing oil and flushing it. It's mostly done for this season except when ideas pop in my head. Getting things ready for the trip to Springfield MO for the '40 Ford meet Sept 24-25. Always more than enough work to do!

Dave

loudbang likes this.
  15. dart4forte

dart4forte
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Nice thing about those old motors is that they seem industructable even after sitting for years. Hopefully I can get up to Yakima to get my 241 before winter sets in

dwollam and loudbang like this.
  16. oliver westlund

oliver westlund
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thinking about ditching my 47 ford for a 33 plymouth coupe...this builds tipping me over the edge

dwollam likes this.