Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage UPDATED WITH PHOTOS! Going For Broke...50 day Cross-Country Road Trip Family Style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by surfcaliforniasurf, May 7, 2015.

1. Man, my kids are gonna feel gypped out of their childhood if they ever read this! You and your family are my new car heroes! :cool:

2. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

If your coming through Little Rock, AR feel free to stay in a house that I have for sale. There is NO furniture but it seems like ya'll are used to that. PM me if your interested.

3. Thanks for posting all the pictures. They are great and I really enjoy looking at them.

4. partssaloon

partssaloon

Great trip and thanks for taking us along, can't express how much this is going to mean to you 40 years from now.

5. Blase

Blase

Great trip! You should really be a writing this for a magazine or book or something. I hope to take a trip like this with my family one day. Only in a 53 olds 88 with A/c! its too hot in the south not to have A/C.

6. ripsrides

ripsrides

Glad I could help some things are not in the tourist brochure you have to use info from a local my brother-in-laws from Florida that's how I found neat stuff to do there.. Safe travels

7. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

awesome trip and pics

8. pumpman

pumpman

Thanks for the ride, having a blast with you from my barko lounger. Be safe you guys!

9. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Great story, your livin the dream! Thanks for letting us all come along.

10. Way cool to catch up with you guys this evening. Give me a shout if you need anything while you are here in SWMO.

cory27t and guthriesmith like this.
  11. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So cool. Safe travels.

12. gonmad

gonmad

I'm envious (even tho I'm not supposed to be!) of your trip and "freedom" from it all! Awesome!
    I'm just a few miles away (as long as you're in SW MO) if you need anything. Any work or a place to work on the car..... Or for that matter, if you need a place to stay as my shop has an apartment in it that several HAMB'rs have stayed in!!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    cory27t likes this.
  13. Amazing journey! Thanks for letting us follow along.

14. ryno

ryno

im in the joplin mo area if youd like to meet up, or need anything, full shop etc

15. Model T1

Model T1

I was hoping we could meet or at least wave as you drove by. We're on the Gulf side of Florida and just read your updates. Both my wife and I read every word and stared at the photos, commenting of all those places we've been. I agree a good waterproof tent is very important. Our 55 Chevy wagon is reasoanbly waterproof but the weather around here has been unusual.
    Thanks for taking us HAMB members along with your family. It's been great so far. Stay safe and keep smiling.

16. NoSurf

NoSurf

Great thread!

Sent you a pm.

17. wicarnut

wicarnut

Thank You for taking us along on your adventure, have traveled some and I have been day dreaming of taking a trip like yours for a while now and you are an inspiration for me to get going on this project. You and wife have made memories, the kids and you will never forget, SO much better than TV, video games, etc. Much respect and admiration, on your next trip, remember me and beautiful northern Wi., you have a place to stay here, continue on, Good Luck ! and be safe.

18. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Day 35: McComb, Ms to Leroy Percy State Park, Ms

We named this trip Going For Broke, and on day 2 the car broke, and on day 36 we almost broke Kenna. Let's just say camping in Mississippi in July, there is a reason you pull into a beautiful state park and there are no other campers. The mosquitos here are the size of a parakeet, and it cools off to 96 degrees in the middle of the night! And when the possum decided to come out of the bushes and join us for dinner, Kenna lost it. Let's just say there were a few cheap motels in our plans the next few days so I didn't lose my copilot at the nearest airport.

Leaving McComb we visited Jackson. On our way I had some insane roadside BBQ on some 2 lane road in Crystal Springs.
    [​IMG]

We really wanted the kids to learn some about the civil rights movement. We ended up visiting this great museum that is actually housed in the first black school in Mississippi.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Random Roadside building.
    [​IMG]
    Lot's of cool bridges.
    [​IMG]

Leroy Percy State Park
    [​IMG]
    That smile really means, "you're an idiot!"
    [​IMG]
    Swatting Mosquitos
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the shirt @BOMONSTER
    [​IMG]
    Camp dinner.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  19. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Day 36: Leroy Percy State Park to Hot Springs, Ar

Arkansas has been our favorite state so far. The scenery is beautiful and the people are great. We stumbled upon the town of Hot Springs and had a great night out on the town. After a parking lot Mac and Cheese dinner, we visited the old town section, had ice cream, and danced to live music at the old Arlington Hotel.

Back on our side of the Mississippi.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cooking Dinner
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Model T1 and hendelec like this.
  20. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Day 37 Hot Springs to Jasper, Arkansas

Swimming at Lake Ouachita.
    [​IMG]
    This is the only kind of road we have been on since we left Florida. This was the most beautiful day of driving through the Ozarks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The sun was setting and we still hadn't found a campground. That is when we pulled into the little town of Jasper and found a cheapo motel. Then we headed to the Ozark Cafe for dinner, and that is when we fell more in love with Arkansas. When it came time to pay, our server told us that our bill had been paid for! Southern Hospitality at it's finest.
    [​IMG]
    Post trip Detox will be mandatory!
    [​IMG]

Day 38: Jasper to Eureka Springs
    Before leaving town Cormac and Kenna wanted to go check out the cute stores in town. I parked the wagon and sat in a corner park. Crowds of people came to check it out. Then I started talking to a guy on the bench next to me and it turns out he was a writer for the Harrison, Ar newspaper. He did a cool little write up on us you can read here:
    http://harrisondaily.com/news/that-...cle_d14d3ae6-2f0e-11e5-855d-333b0e22f718.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Swimming and fishing in the Buffalo River.
    [​IMG]
    His first fish on a lure.
    [​IMG]
    This is my great-grandfathers hometown. My mothers maiden name is Bunch, and there was a lot of Bunch history in town.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    to be continued...

Model T1, gonmad and AHotRod like this.
  21. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

...Day 38 continued
    As we were driving I caught a glimpse of some bright colors out of the corner of my eye. I immediately pulled a U-turn with the family wondering what I was doing. That is when we had the pleasure of meeting the Arkansas Picker Mr. Jerry Tinsley. 12 years ago he started collecting this stuff so he could start a museum. 5 years ago he opened Memory Lane. The kids loved this place because Jerry wanted kinds to get to experience the stuff. So if its out, kids can touch it and play with it. We spent over an hour hanging out with Jerry and listening to all his stories! It was one of the highlights of the trip.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "Dad, what is this?"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The School House.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After Jerry's we headed to Eureka Springs to meet up with my mom who had flown out from California. Kenna and I were ready for a break, and the kids were ready to be spoiled by Nana.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    View from Dinner.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Model T1, Blase and AHotRod like this.
  22. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Day 39: Eureka Springs, Ar to Branson, Mo
    Sightseeing around Eureka Springs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Our 21st state!
    [​IMG]
    We ran into hamber @bchrismer as we were pulling into Branson! That was a lot of fun.
    [​IMG]
    The wagon is now sleeping for a few days while we hangout with my mom!
    [​IMG]

bchrismer, Model T1, gonmad and 4 others like this.
  23. Gman0046

Gman0046

The more you travel the better it gets. Thanks again for sharing.

24. What a great trip. Thanks for taking us along.

25. TexasDart

TexasDart

Now you know why Eureka Springs is one of my favorite towns. The V shaped building across from the Basin Park hotel is where we are staying for the September car show. Really cool car show and parade.

26. Caprice89

Caprice89

All the way from Holland, Europe; thanks for sharing this wonderfull trip. Respect.

hendelec likes this.
  27. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Welcome to the Ozarks, which we locals believe is God's country. That drive up from Hot Springs to Jasper is one of the finest in the country. It's fun seeing some of my regular haunts through your eyes.

gonmad likes this.
  28. McFly

McFly

I love tagging along. Great trip so far!

29. AHotRod

AHotRod

They need to make a 2 hour TV Special on your family trip.
    God Bless your family, and Thank You for sharing with us.

Model T1 and hendelec like this.
  30. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Glad you got to meet Bret, one of the good guys. Thanks for sharing this trip with us.

bchrismer and gonmad like this.