Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage UPDATED WITH PHOTOS! Going For Broke...50 day Cross-Country Road Trip Family Style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by surfcaliforniasurf, May 7, 2015.

1. JBurt

JBurt

Love seeing the genuine glee on the kids faces. Well. all of your faces for that matter. I'm sure there are some rough times but you still look like you are having fun.

Special Ed likes this.
  2. truckjunky24

truckjunky24

Wow Good Luck! Hope everything goes good! Need anything On gulf coast I'm in Mobile,Al. There's a lot of HAMB members on coast!! Let me know!!!

3. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Looking forward to seeing you in Salina.

Bam.inc likes this.
  4. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

My kids are grown and have they're own kids.......a bit late for me to do a trip like this except vicariously through you all. Be safe. This is a trip I would have liked to do but "life" got in the way.
    Godspeed

5. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Just seeing this. looks like a blast!
    If you end up back in the Denver area and need things to see or a place to crash drop me a line.

6. Never traveled with kids- have taken several long distance trips and will be the first to admit I acted like a baby a couple days- continued travel is a rough row to hoe- you seem to be doing OK-

7. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

We are currently somewhere in Missisippi heading north on our 34th day of travel! It has been nearly impossible to find Wifi capable of uploading photos. Here are some photos and captions from our trip to catch you up on our adventures. As of now there have been no major issues with the wagon. I have had to change 1 spark plug and a front wheel bearing.

Day 22 Franklin, Tn to Rutledge, TN
    The sky was ugly and very wet the whole drive across.
    [​IMG]
    So much rain leaks sprang up!
    [​IMG]
    It was nice we were going to spend 2 nights with a friend of mine in Rutledge, which really helped with the budget. I preached at his church on July 5th, which meant we got to celebrate the 4th in Knoxville! That was a trip!
    [​IMG]

Day 23 Sightseeing in Knoxville Area
    The American Museum of Science and Energy in Oak Ridge was amazing. This is where the Atomic Bomb was created before WWII.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am sure this can cause some hambers to get in an argument.
    [​IMG]

Day 24 Rutledge, TN to Charleston, SC
    Navigating with an MAP rather than a GPS.
    [​IMG]
    We hit a major traffic jamb at a bridge somwhere near North Carolina, and the wagon started heating up. Solution: Open hood, hit the shoulder, and bypass 5 miles of traffic by smiling and waiving!
    [​IMG]
    Most of this days driving looked like this!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Name that tune...
    [​IMG]
    We watched the World Cup final at the bar of this great little place off of some two lane road in North Carolina!
    [​IMG]
    After the game we crossed over into South Carolina, and decided since the kids were asleep we would power on to Charleston so we could spend the next day at the beach!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
    slammed likes this.
  8. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Day 25 Charleston, SC to Savannah, Georgia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We made it to Savannah around 8pm after spending the entire day at Folley Beach, SC. It was so nice to just be on the beach again! We ate some crab cake sandwiches on the river in Charleston before heading to bed.

Day 26 Savannah to Orange City, FL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We rotate drivers!
    [​IMG]
    Visited St. Augustine!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cannon Loading tools.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fire in the hole...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We had to hit Daytona Beach! I pulled up, the guy at the payment booth saw our California plates, and said, "I can't take your money!"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I love seeing Birdie and Cormac playing behind the wagon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Water was colder here than in SC.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Day 27 Orange City to Disney World
    Now a week into the trip I got a call from a good friend back home saying he had a cousin who had 3 days worth of park hopper passes for our family for free! This was the ultimate hookup! Lets just say after 3 days, and 4 theme parks, your body aches like you would never believe.

Our resort fit the theme of our trip. The even gave us a room in the 50's wing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    OUr room was right behind the juke box.
    [​IMG]
    I'll spare you all the disney photos....I'll post a few that fit the theme of this trip and the hamb.

10. Great trip ! Is your wagon on air bags or just low ,love the look . I'm building my wife a 59 Brookwood . Enjoy the rest of your trip ,it goes way to fast .

11. You guys are rocking'!! Sounds like from the IG updates you might be passing my way (Conway, AR) today or next on your way north. Wish I could sit by the interstate just to watch you pass by. :D Should it turn out you end up camping near by for the night, I'd love to treat you guys to dinner....

12. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Day 28 and 29 were spent at Disney World. I'll spare you all the photos and just give you the one standard Disney shot.
    [​IMG]
    and one of the car in front of the Pop Century Resort.
    [​IMG]

Day 30 Disney World to Wildwood, Florida KOA
    Before leaving the Orlando Area, we needed to see and eat some Gator! So it was off to Gatorland for some gator rasslin! We spent the better part of the day at Gatorland, staying until the park closed. Since we had been at Disney world eating like kings on a dining plan, we needed to stop at Target and reload our food supplies since it was back to camping accross the USA. That is where things got crazy! While we were in Target, a storm moved in with thunder and lightening and rain that was so loud it would scare you inside Target. The storm lasted for over 2 hours(so much for the whole 15 minutes and the weather changes theory the locals kept feeding me) with nobody leaving Target and everyone eating and hanging out in the food court waiting for the storm to pass. It wasn't until 7:30 when we were finally able to get to the car. We loaded up, the cooler and food bin, and when we jumped in the front seat we realized the tremendous amount of rain had caused to floors of the wagon to look like the florida everglades. I was scared a baby alligator might bite my rainbow sandal. I decided to just throw a couple beach towel down to soak up the majority and to deal with the problem in the morning. We ended up camping at a cute little KOA in Wildwood, about 12 miles south of the Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The sky was gorgeous after the storm moved through...
    [​IMG]

13. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Day 31 Wildwood, Fl to Ichetucknee State Park
    Don Garlits Museum was pretty spectacular. To see all that history in one place you could spend all day. I ended up giving Cormac our good camera to get as many shots as he wanted, and to keep him engaged so I could stay a while longer and check everything out. (They even gave me a major discount for driving a 59 chevy wagon with no AC around the USA, my stupidity is really paying off). Even Kenna enjoyed the museum since her dad was a Lions Drag Strip regular and she grew up going to the drag races every weekend. Her and her brother were texting back and forth with memories of their dad and Big Daddy Don Garlits. I want to thank Ripsrides for all the tips and pointers on places to go and things to do and see! He has been our personal travel agent!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    photo by Cormac
    [​IMG]
    Photo Cormac
    [​IMG]
    Photo Cormac
    [​IMG]
    Photo Cormac
    [​IMG]
    Photo Cormac
    [​IMG]
    The Photographer
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Photo Cormac
    [​IMG]
    Photo Cormac
    [​IMG]
    Photo Cormac
    [​IMG]
    Photo Cormac
    [​IMG]
    Photo Cormac
    [​IMG]
    Photo Cormac
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Body on this was amazing!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Driving to Ichetucknee we started lots of signs trees like this:
    [​IMG]
    After having visited Gatorland it was tough to imagine getting into any water in Florida, but it turns out that this spring is a tad bit cold (70 degrees) for the gators (or so the lady renting us our tubes told us!
    The Spring!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Kenna was not happy about the 3/4 mile walk to the bathrooms and showers! But for only $15 you can't complain.
    [​IMG]
    I am so thankful for our car cover that California Car Cover gave us for the trip! I hope you will support these guys! After our debacle in the Target Parking Lot with all the leaks, I am so glad that during every other major storm the wagon has been sleeping nice and cozy under their waterproof cover.
    [​IMG]
    Campground Game Room Rules:
    [​IMG]

14. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Day 32 Ichetucknee State Park to Pace, FL
    Before hitting the road to our friends house in Pace we had to get a river float in! What a blast it was! No photos because we didn't have a water proof bag, but lets just say over 2 hours of floating in cool 70 degree water looking at Turtles, raccoons, and the Florida Locals.
    [​IMG]
    We mailed some postcards from somewhere in the middle of nowhere. We have been primarily taking old 2 lane roads when we have a chance, which should result in some fun location stamps on these postcards headed to friends.
    [​IMG]
    I was a little concerned as the load didn't look secured very well.
    [​IMG]
    We made it to our friends who were gracious enough to let us crash at their house even though they had a moving company arriving the next day to move them to Maryland for the Marines.

15. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Day 33 Pace, FL to Buccaneer State Park Mississippi
    This was possibly one of our favorite days of driving. We cruised highway 90, which is a wonderful 2 lane road that gives you a real taste of the Alabama and Mississippi Gulf Coasts. Before hitting the road we spent a few hours at Pensecola Beach.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This guy had a bad day.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alabama gave us nightmares that we were in Western Nebraska again (Sorry if you live in western Nebraska but that place is flat with a lot of corn)
    [​IMG]
    Super stoked on our radio that Custom Autosound set us up with for the trip! Check these guys out for a nice product and a fair price.
    [​IMG]
    We slammed on the brakes when we saw this place. While Kenna shopped a 6 year old girl took Cormac and Birdie on a ghost tour.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Still smiling...
    [​IMG]
    We loved the houses and view in Biloxi
    [​IMG]
    Made camp right as the sunset and the Bugs arrived!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

You and your family squeezed a lot of life into a short period of time,really enjoyed following along. :)

17. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Day 34 Buccaneer State Park Mississippi to New Orleans to McComb Mississippi
    We woke up early because we wanted the kids to get to spend the day in New Orleans. Once again we cruised highway 90 which was a great little 2 lane road through the Bayou.
    Cruising the backroads.
    [​IMG]
    This was the only gas station for miles, and I took this photo because if the wagon started having fuel problems I wanted to document the moment it started.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We took the jump!
    [​IMG]
    The wagon lost yet another drag race!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Blends right in
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We were back on proper side of the Mississippi for a moment.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Miss Party Mom charging it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The heat was making us all crazy! This hat is my 2$ Tennessee thrift store score!
    [​IMG]
    Cruised highway 51 through the backcountry up to McComb, Mississippi.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bo Diddly's home town Magnolia
    [​IMG]

That brings us up to date. Its Thursday and we are in Mississippi, with nowhere we have to be until Sunday evening in Eureka Springs, Ark. We have decided to scrap Texas this trip since we wanted to cut back on some miles in this heat and just enjoy a little more of the small towns we have been coming upon. Until the next time we have wifi, thanks for following along as we Go For Broke!

63fdsnr likes this.
  18. TexasDart

TexasDart

you will love Eureka Springs...one of my favorite towns. Lots of places to camp around there. I usually 'camp' downtown at the Flat Iron Flats hotel. It's across from the Basin Park Hotel.

19. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

your kids will never forget you for this ! what a great time for you family, we took trips like this when i was a kid and passed it on to my kids when they were little. have a fantastic rest of your trip i will be watching you

20. Looks like an epic trip already with plenty of miles left to cover! Any problem with a all that moisture on the carpet(from the leaks) turning into mold with all the humidity? Safe travels!

21. n847

n847

You guys are rulers! I just made a deal with my wife last week she gets to plan a resort destination vacation next year for our anniversary and in 2017 my son (and daughter if she wants) are going for the mecca trip to Bonneville. Tent camping, living off beef jerkey, and hitting up all the 2 lane highway we can!

Hope you guys enjoy the rest of your trip!

PS...Started instagram stalking you today!

22. Nice! Enjoy the trip. )

23. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

What a MASSIVE update - I am lovin' it !!

I'm in Georgia visiting family right now , and in a few days I'll be fighting the same traffic in the NC area. Happens every trip , sucks every time , lol !

Continued good luck and fun wishes heading your way !!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  24. Thanks for another great update! Looks like you are still having a great trip.

25. Great trip. Thanks for taking us along!!!!!

26. It's great following you guys on this trip - if you end up anywhere near Taos, PM me and I'll buy dinner.

27. Really cool adventure...thanks for sharing!

28. cory27t

cory27t
    from US

29. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That Bell auto parts is like a mile from my work, I was hoping to past yall on my way home yesterday

30. jroberts

jroberts

I was glad to see this update. You guys are the best. I really envy all four of you. I can't wait for the nest update.