Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage UPDATED WITH PHOTOS! Going For Broke...50 day Cross-Country Road Trip Family Style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by surfcaliforniasurf, May 7, 2015.

1. Enjoying this,Cheers.

2. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Awesome trip, Thanks for taking us along. Your Family SMILES are what its all about. They will never forget this adventure. Continued Good Luck.

3. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

TOTALLY DIG THIS! You guys are all bad asses! I would totally be hitting all the thrift stores to. Have fun, trip those little finks will remember forever.

4. jroberts

jroberts

I continue to be in awe of you folks. What a great trip. Thanks for sharing.

5. YJ4000

YJ4000

Love reading about your adventure. Thanks.

Ryan.

6. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Day 17: Dayton, Ohio Air Force Museum
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We all miss our Boxer "Mohawk" who we left in Santa Maria with friends.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    No matter where we go she can find something having to do with fashion.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  7. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Did you see my post from last Tuesday in which I invited the four of you to stop by our home for lunch today since you're going to be within half a mile of our house? We were disappointed when we never heard back from you....

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  8. TexasDart

TexasDart

Glad to see you all having such a great trip...but I have to ask one question did your wife really do her hair color to match the interior for better photo shots? :)

enloe likes this.
  9. Being an ex Californian / Oregonian, now living in Oklahoma I have learned that a tornado siren actually means quick, grab your camera, we can send it to the local news!

da34guy likes this.
  10. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Missed it til now, but I'm up to date & looking forward to the rest of your adventure!!

Thanks for taking the time to bring us along.

11. Awesome trip, thanks for sharing. I hope to take an extended classic car road trip with my family before the kids are too big. I will be watching, my wife is even if interested!

If you find yourself in Colorado again, drop me a PM if you need a place to stay for a day or two or want similar age playmates for your kids. We are about an hour west of Denver, up in the mountains where it is cool.

12. poprivit

poprivit
    from Hagerstown

13. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

Let's see, 50 day road trip and NOTHING since the 18th day, what happened, were you kidnaped by aliens , did some one rip off your laptop WHATS UP???????????????????????????????????????????????

Model T1 likes this.
  14. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Patience: Day 18 was just posted 6-28-15...I'm sure it's (update's) on it's way. Maybe via telegram or Pony Express. Ya know, HAMB friendly vehicles have a limited # of 12V chargers...& as many axle/tire/bearing roadside rebuilds as they've already endured, probably just not much wifi/satellites reaching their signal out there in the MIDWEST :oops:
    Remember, out in the Midwest, might see a few Jack Rabbits w/ canteens, so a blog post or HAMB post is the least of their worries.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    Model T1 likes this.
  15. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Travel safe & your building memories for your kids.

Chris
    Kansas

16. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

According to their schedule they should have been in Tennessee since Monday....

17. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

We need an update !!

... please ;)

18. JBurt

JBurt

There has been some pretty nasty weather down through there. Hope all is well.

19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Yep the weather down here SUCKS

20. Model T1

Model T1

Maybe Kenna had to get her hair recolored the upholstery color again!:p

21. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Sorry for the delay in updating. We have been having such a blast on the road and visiting with long time friends that I just didn't have a chance to post. Here is a few updates:

Day 18: Springboro, OH to Mammoth Caves National Park, KY (230 Miles)
    We woke up on Monday, took it easy, and late morning we were ready to hit the road towards the south. After saying goodbye to our good friends and a few tears from the kids, we loaded up the wagon and jumped on the interstate. We weren't even on the road for 25 minutes when it started raining, and then pouring. The rain didn't let up until we reached Louisville. The traffic was horrible between Cincinnati and Louisville, down to one lane for about 5 miles. Now the worst thing is I have wanted to get a photo of the wagon by every "Welcome to __________" sign but it isn't exactly an easy task. Sometimes you get into the right lane and then the sign is overhead. Other times there is no safe way to park without getting killed by a big rig. At least our Kentucky photo has a little tuck and roll in it. (Side note Kentucky people are super nice. You stop for gas and end up chatting with 10 people for 30 minutes!)

When we hit Louisville, the kids and I toured the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory while Kenna took the wagon and looked for something to interest her in town since a baseball bat factory didn't tickle her fancy. I highly recommend the tour if you or your kids are at all into baseball. You even get a free mini bat with your ticket!
    After the museum we decided to look for a place to camp. We found on our phone a KOA about 20 miles south of Louisville, so we decided to make our way there. We needed gas, and when we stopped we met a really nice man named Danny who asked us "You going to mammoth cave?" We had no idea what he was talking about, so he told us all about the longest cave system in the U.S. about 60 miles south of us. Kenna said, "lets do it!" So we ate our first White Castle since there was a chance we arrived in camp late, and we headed out for Mammoth Cave National Park.

From the north we took a beautiful 2 lane road through Amish Country (We saw our first buggy and all screamed with delight!) We ended up seeing 4 buggies and our kids and the Amish kids all waved at each other with amazement! Now this two lane road is when the story gets interesting. Now remember, Kenna and I are both born, raised, and have lived our entire lives in California. As we were cruising on the two lane road, a green mini van pulled up behind us. When we got to a straight section of the road I would wave them by, but they refused to pass us. I would slow down to 15 mph but the car would not pass us. I thought it was strange at first, but the longer this went on I started to get a little concerned. After about 15 miles, I mentioned to Kenna how weird it was. (Side note: Kenna watches way to much Dateline). Eventually we reached a turnoff to the national park and there was a gas station and the junction, so I pulled in for gas, and the green mini van continued on down the original road. We took our junction and were cruising along about 10 minutes when the minivan pull up behind us again. Once again I try to wave it by and they refuse to pass. About this time Kenna is running our Dateline episode through her head. I drive for a few more miles on this quite road with no other cars coming the opposite direction when I get to a wide turnoff. I decide the best defense is a good offense and decide to pull over and approach the car. I pull over, tell Kenna to stay in the car, and just as I am about to get out of the car a middle age woman jumps out of the minivan and walks towards the wagon. She is yelling in the sweetest southern drawl "We love your station wagon!" She then proceeds to tell me that her grandson is in the car and really wants a picture with the wagon, but he was too embarrassed to get out! I can't believe we were freaking out! She didn't want to slow us down and offered to follow us to the "ferry station." We had no idea there was a ferry station! As we waited for the ferry her grandson took photos with the wagon! People really are nice in the south, and for a couple of Californians it is going to take some getting used to.

We set up camp in a beautiful campground under huge trees, did a little exploring before heading to bed...

[​IMG]
    Traffic!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cormac's favorite player!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What better place to murder someone than a river in the middle of nowhere?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Kenna breathing a sign of relief
    [​IMG]
    Cormac really wanted a picture of this motorcycle. The rad couple has been riding around the 48 states for 4 years!
    [​IMG]

22. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Day 19: Mammoth Cave National Park to Franklin, TN (110 miles)

The night was stormy and loud with rain and thunder. I woke up commenting how well I slept to the sound of rain pounding our tent all night. Kenna laid there mumbling how miserably she slept with the noise of the rain hitting our tent. Man was I thankful that we have a good tent (don't try a trip like this with a Wal-mart tent you will be kicking yourself on a night like this) and I was thankful for the cover California Car Cover provided us! It takes up hardly any space, and when it rains like it did this night, it makes sure your car doesn't leak!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mammoth Caves is insane! If you have a chance to go you need to! We took an hour and a half tour and were blown away by the history and beauty of the place! It's hard to get a good photo because you can't use flash.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After the cave tour, we headed south! Of course we had to stop by the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green and snap a quick photo.
    [​IMG]
    We made good time to Tennessee with only a little drizzle, arriving at our friends house around 2:30 with plenty of time to hit the neighborhood pool before dinner.
    [​IMG]

At this point in the trip I am really thankful for how well the wagon has been running. I did have to change one spark plug in Ohio, but other than that since the axle issue in Vegas the car has been driving well.

drdave and guthriesmith like this.
  23. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

Day 20 and 21 Sightseeing around Nashville and Franklin, TN

We stayed with one of my wife friends who she has been friends with since she was 5 years old. We had a tone of fun and the kids had a blast. This was our first taste of the south just sitting on the screened in porch listening to the rain and eating Goo Goo Clusters.

Honky Tonken without kids!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Visited a little town called Lipers Fork. These two greet you as you drive in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It was perfect that Birdie turned 4 while we were with our friends!
    [​IMG]

It was also nice to get out of the drivers seat of the wagon for a couple days and let our friends drive us around!

24. Glad to hear you all are still having a great trip, and thanks for the update!

25. jroberts

jroberts

Sounds like you folks are still having a blast and I am still jealous of all the fun you are having. Keep it safe.

26. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

If you are going south on I-65, you need to go through Huntsville al and see the U.S Space and rocket center. Its about 20 min off 65 on I-565. You AND THE KIDS will love it.When are you coming thru North Bama? Being the owner of a 59 el camino, like to get a look at wagon

dad-bud likes this.
  27. Gman0046

Gman0046

North Alabama not very hospitable Saturday night Cullman on South to Birmingham. Very heavy rain.

Gary

28. I envy you guys...and yes, I am aware it's a sin. ;) We love road trips, but have been unable to take an extended one like this. What a blessing and a cool way to make lemonade from lemons. :)

29. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a blast! Thanks for sharing.

30. surfcaliforniasurf

surfcaliforniasurf

This may explain the lack of updates! Drove all night through South Carolina so we could spend all day at the beach!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1436208079.037227.jpg