Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Updated project...ugly bucket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by powmia, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Nice Zed!

2. topfuel55

topfuel55
    from Hebron IN

Not to hi jack the post but that's my buddies. He and a bunch of us built my car. The bike is a Z1 with a weired swing arm and a hand made single seat it's a riot to ride. Chased some parts with it when gas prices were real high.

3. topfuel55

topfuel55
    from Hebron IN

The front mounts are from a v-drive boat and I've heard of guys breaking bell housings with front and trans mounts so I built mid mounts. It's super ridgid, it stiffened the frame. The drivetrain is a stressed member. The filler panels I pounded out on a hollow stump with an oxygen bottle cap for a hammer. Then I hammer and dollied the whole thing to planish it to shape. It took me all 4th of July weekend a couple of years ago. I think it was the sun shining on a dogs ass when they turned out as they did. Or the sheet metal felt sorry for me. Keep up the good work, when you get to drive it you forget the nights you couldn't sleep working thru the design and building. Danny

4. Hotrodhell35

Hotrodhell35

here is the way i setup my lil modified awhile ago... triangulated 4 bar with QE leaves

Attached Files:

5. Cool Rat Rod!

Sam

6. powmia

powmia

I think I'm good on clearance now...making mounts isn't the most fun but it looks better.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

Attached Files:

7. powmia

powmia

Attached Files:

8. Olderchild

Olderchild
    from Ohio

My two cents your going to have carb. problems enless you are going to bring up the back

9. The pan looks better now, but check where your fan will be. I had to go electric because the fan was higher than my radiator

10. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I like it. I even like the rake on the body in the first pictures. A couple of things can make it or break it though. Make it ugly or look right. First the windshield has to lean back some. Strait up or forward is ugly. Second the headlights need to be pretty much in line with the grill shell. Too far forward Ugly. Too far back Ugly. Details, Ugly or right. Well you asked.

Hopefully I'm the only UGLY thing in the picture.

Attached Files:

11. powmia

powmia

Thanks for the responses guys! The trans will be coming up another inch and a half to solve the carb problems. I will be doing an electric fan, any suggestions on the slimmest one out there? And Steel Rebel, good point, definitely going for the right amount of ugly...still trying to figure out the windshield situation, right now the posts are just 1x1 steel tubing, so with the right stantions they will be leaning back, and now that I raised the motor the headlights will be mounted in line with the radiator. Tear it apart guys thats what Im looking for, it's my first scratch build and I want it done right. Thanks.

12. powmia

powmia

Fixed dome stuff today. Finished the trans mount, raised the radiator and moved the head lights forward. Also made the body mounts so here's how its going to sit.

Attached Files:

13. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Looks good. Doing a very similar 23 T/ 29 cowl combination, on a 32 frame.

14. kennkat

kennkat

:)
    I completely agree, This has been mentioned in a couple of posts here. One guy mentioned that he had a single long "third link" that went "right up to the transmission..." This is WELL WORTH doing... It works WELL. Back in about '76 0r '77 I worked on a 1963 Chevy NHRA Super Stocker that among other "Stocker Trix" (like Mopar 8 3/4 side, spider gears & axles in the GM 10 bolt) Had this type of "Traction Bar" and it worked well... Although that was a "coil car' I know of one Very Notable 1960's Willys Pickup Gasser that ran Quarter Elliptics & the Long single traction bar/"Torque Arm" suspension. The Red '41 Willys that Panella's ran quite successfully with that exact setup...
    Edited -(the Panella truck had "watts linkage" to locate the Pont diff) Ken

15. powmia

powmia

It's been a while since I updated the build. Filled in the wheel wells, fast Eddie here in albuquerque does killer sheetmetal work. The exhaust is getting close, just need one bend made. Cranked the inline for the first time though! Wiring is done, just floors, driveshaft steering and brakes left! And still under 5k on the build...it can be done.

Attached Files:

16. powmia

powmia

It's been a while... Should be on the road next month. Really just waiting on the state inspection for a vin. Enjoy! ImageUploadedByTJJ1367006576.126889.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1367006591.598086.jpg ImageUploadedByTJJ1367006607.759017.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

I like it , looks like it has fun written all over it

18. powmia

powmia

Thanks, thats all it's made for. Cant wait to be driving it!

19. raidmagic

raidmagic

Fantastic!! Keep us updated. That is going to be killer