Register now to get rid of these ads!

UPDATED life goes on bra

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Paul, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Paul

Paul
    Editor

here's a little Dolly Partonesque tacky tech fer ya,

form an idea stolen from fellow HAMBers, twist the idea around a brain cell or two,

assemble some junk you got laying around,

a swap meet BBC intake, a pair of old Holley carbs, some K&N aircleaners and Aunt Bee's cake covers?

Attached Files:

2. Paul

Paul
    Editor

trim

Attached Files:

3. Paul

Paul
    Editor

fit

Attached Files:

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

tack

Attached Files:

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

try welding, give up and use some aluminum solder you had laying around for twenty years..

Attached Files:

6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

file and try 'em on!

Attached Files:

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

for my next trick... [​IMG]

Paul

8. ABone312

ABone312

I think you need to find some bigger pans! [​IMG]

9. Nice pair. Looks like centerfold material to me.

10. TINGLER

TINGLER

Wow! thats pretty cool.

It would be cooler to have actual pans with the handle still attached! he he...

Here is a TECHY question about your post.
    How well does those little air filters flow? I wanted to use one on a 4v carb I have.....but I am worried that it will not work right.
    mine is something like 6" in diameter. How much of a difference will it make compared to a 14" or a 10" air cleaner?

Hope I haven't jacked your post. But this question came to mind from looking at your WAYYY COOOL air cleaner. Seriously, I like it!

VT.

11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

VonTingler,
    I was actually looking for some that said CAKE on them but these were the first two matching ones I found.

I don't have my calculator with me but these are 4" tall if you want to figure rough area, and the K&N stuff does flow pretty good.

Paul

now that I think about it, I will tap the plastic handles and see how they look for top nuts..

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

[ QUOTE ]

How well does those little air filters flow? I wanted to use one on a 4v carb I have.....but I am worried that it will not work right.

VT.

[/ QUOTE ]

The K&N's flow great, I would think that a K&N of that size would out flow a 14" paper element.

13. burger

burger

VonTingler:

From the K&N website:

Use the formula below to compute the minimum size filter required for your particular application. The usable portion of the filter is called the EFFECTIVE FILTERING AREA which is determined by multiplying the diameter of the filter times Pi (3.1416) times the height of the air filter in inches, then subtracting .75-inch. We subtract .75-inch to compensate for the rubber seals on each end of the element and the filter material near them since very little air flows through this area.

A = (CID x RPM) / 20,839

Where:
    A = effective filtering area
    CID = cubic inch displacement
    RPM = revolutions per minute at maximum power

Use the following formula to determine the height of the filter.

H = (A / (D x 3.14)) + .75

Where:
    A = effective filtering area
    H = height
    D = outside diameter of the filter
    3.14 = pi
    0.75 = the rubber end caps

Ed

14. burger

burger

If you run through the math, Paul's filters are a smidge too small for his BBC.

Ok, 454 BBC, max RPM 6,000

A = (454 X 6000) / 20839
    A = 130 in^2

He has two filters, so each one must then flow 65 in^2

H = (65 / (6 x 3.14)) + .75
    H = 4.25 in

Ed

15. burger

burger

I do have a question for ya, Paul -- where does one go shopping for cake pans? Thrift shops?

Ed

16. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

You can score cake pans like that at thrift shops, dollar stores, garage sales and flea markets...the trick might be trying to find TWO that match, though!!

Check out this 1/25 scale version goin' onto my 65 El Camino! [​IMG]

Attached Files:

17. TINGLER

TINGLER

Thanks for those facts and figures! I'm gonna mess around with them and see what I come up with...

FAT HACK, where the hell did you get 1/25 scale CAKE PANS? Did you raid BARBIE'S kitchen?

KRAAAaaaaazy man...... [​IMG]

18. Paul

Paul
    Editor

edmurder,

Thanks for the math, you might also want to include the filter thickness, as in the depth of the fold, ie; if you cut it apart and stretched the filter out it would be at least twice the circumference thereby doubling the area.. 'course if this is their math they must already be taking this into account..

..anyway that’s what I was alluding to when I said "rough area"

[ QUOTE ]
    I do have a question for ya, Paul -- where does one go shopping for cake pans?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like advised in another post; always be open to using available shapes (or something to that effect..) [​IMG]

I was not "shopping for cake pans" I just noticed a pair of matching shapes. [​IMG]

These I found one at a junk store and the other at an antique store, $5.00 for one and $6.50 for the other.

Paul

19. DrJ

DrJ

That's a neat idea!
    [​IMG]
    Go to a local restaurant supply or Smart & Final Store. They have stuff like that and you won't have to spend a day and a half polishing them.

20. burger

burger

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks for the math, you might also want to include the filter thickness, as in the depth of the fold, ie; if you cut it apart and stretched the filter out it would be at least twice the circumference thereby doubling the area.. 'course if this is their math they must already be taking this into account..

[/ QUOTE ]

K&N takes the pleated area into account for the formula. David Vizard's book "How to Build Max Perf SBCs on a Budget" has a formula for filter area based on engine HP. I'll check it when I get home to see how it compares to the K&N formula.

Ed

21. katzenhammer

katzenhammer

Yeah nice idea! I suppose Bunt pans are out of the question...

sigh.

Justin

22. Paul

Paul
    Editor

katzenhammer, now that's just plain silly!

here's an update for yuz-

I spent a couple minutes filing and bead blasted it and a crusty pair of old Cal Customs I had layin' around..

whudda ya think??

izzat the TITS or what!?!

Attached Files:

23. KCsledz

KCsledz

That looks pretty frickin good if you ask me!

24. burger

burger

Paul,

I have an update for you. The esteemed David Vizard feels that you have more than adequete filter area. He says that each square inch of surface area (flat surface area, not pleated surface area) is capable of handling 4 - 4.5 HP.

So then, if you have 2 filters with a 6 inch diameter and a 3.25 inch filter height (subtract .75 for the rubber), you have 123 in^2 of filter area. Here's the math:

A = (# of filters) x (3.14 x D x H)

Where:
    3.14 = Pi
    D = Filter Diameter
    H = Filter Height

According to Vizard, your filters can support 500-550 HP, which would be a pretty stout 454.

Ed

25. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

......Ed........STOP IT! I'm getting a headache! (you "techies") [​IMG] Next thing I know, you'll have Dr. Duck shouting, "E equals MC squared...."

26. Cool idea!!!
    That style cake pan must have been very popular. I've seen at least a dozen of them at yard sales and antique stores.
    Clark